Author Topic: Gaming Controller for Quadriplegic  (Read 10516 times)

coreymschops

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Gaming Controller for Quadriplegic
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:00:09 PM »
I have been looking for an affordable way to make a custom video game controller for my quadriplegic brother, who has use of his arms but not his hands. This should make it very easy to do! Using arcade style switches, I will be able to build a large (arcade style) game pad that can sit on his lap. He has been in his wheelchair for 11 months now, and he 'was' a very hardcore gamer before his diving accident. I've come up with a lot of things to make his life easier, but the controller has always been outside my areas of expertise.

When I first saw the Makey Makey- I knew there were a handful of ways I could help my brother with it. I ordered two already, and will probably have use for several more.

bradieo

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Controller for Quadriplegic
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 02:06:33 PM »
I would love to see how this turns out.  Makey Makey needs an access forum where we can all post our ideas and videos of how we use this great new tool!

itamarcu

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »
I would love to see how this turns out.  Makey Makey needs an access forum where we can all post our ideas and videos of how we use this great new tool!

Judging by the recent suggestions, there also needs to be a "MaKey MaKey devices for children with physical disabilities" forum.  :)
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one!”

Venomoth

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 09:20:19 PM »

Judging by the recent suggestions, there also needs to be a "MaKey MaKey devices for children with physical disabilities" forum.  :)
And, autism/aspergers forum...

Dominic

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 10:28:19 AM »
Agreed, a "Hackcess" group would not be a bad idea  ;D the cost of off the shelf shwitches and access devices is obscene, this way we can make our own and better adapt them to our needs.

wakeupsilver

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • MaKey MaKey
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 04:40:54 PM »
Wow amazing. But of course. MaKey MaKey team will discuss.

wakeupsilver

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • MaKey MaKey
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 05:22:57 PM »
What do you think are the pros and cons of having a separate place to discuss Hackcess (custom made access devices for people who find the design of standard keyboards/mice to not work well for their situation, or something like that)? Could it isolate that community? Could it strengthen that community? I'd be interested to hear different viewpoints on this.

lightnin

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 07:21:16 PM »
Awesome idea!~ But let's not derail the original thread. :)

Please post your thoughts about whether or not we should create an assistive technology forum (or subforum) here:
http://www.makeymakey.com/forums/index.php?topic=400.msg720#msg720

NBroombaugh

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 12:20:33 PM »
I'm willing to bet there are pressure sensitive switches (probably conductive fabric) that can be substituted for bananas and playdough, making it feasible to create a relatively sophisticated game controller that responds to muscle movements. I've had a lot of luck setting up a pencil-drawn gamepad with 4 axis, 12 buttons and a digital pad using only the makey makey and autohotkey.

MkowaGes

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Gaming Controller for Quadriplegic
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 03:36:15 PM »
Im c6 complete with no finger control but I managed to play need for speed on my 360 with my regular controller, it was hard but do able.
svoiduhi.com Все об ароматах, косметике и парфюмерии