Author Topic: MakeyMakey on PS3 and Xbox 360 (How To)  (Read 11385 times)

OneSwitch

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
MakeyMakey on PS3 and Xbox 360 (How To)
« on: July 08, 2013, 04:03:24 AM »
It's possible to use the brilliant MakeyMakey on the Xbox 360 and PS3 using:

1. MakeyMakey and a PC.
2. Cronus Device and their Bullseye keyboard remapping software.

This www.specialeffect.org.uk R&D video gives a swift example of the PS3 game "Pinball Arcade" being played with two blobs of Play-doh:

PS3 Play-Doh Pinball Preview (SpeciaEffect R&D)

You can set this up in a massive amount of ways, especially if you add other controls using the likes of JoyToKey, GlovePie and AutoHotKey.

I've a question now. Is it possible to reprogramme the MakeyMakey to send out joystick events rather than keyboard and mouse events? If so, it will be possible through JoyToKey to simply latch controls, cycle controls, swap profiles, add auto-fire and more. Can anyone help, please?

johnschimmel

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • DIYAbility
Re: MakeyMakey on PS3 and Xbox 360 (How To)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 06:13:27 AM »
Yes, well probably yes with a little reprogramming of the Arduino.  With the Arduino Leonardo you can add in Joystick HID capability. This usually means adding a file or two to give it the functionality.

The thing you want to google is "Arduino Leonardo Joystick HID" Someone made a blog post in Nov doing just this, http://www.imaginaryindustries.com/blog/?p=80

Also, Generic Joystick HID is also available on the Teensy microcontroller and might be a good place for reference.

For specialized key commands, you should be able to repurpose the existing Makey Makey config code to map double and triple key presses. Locking /toggling is possible if you modify the functions.

Also since I love the Raspberry Pi, another way to do it. Keep the Makey Makey as it is but put GIMX on the Raspberry Pi, connect MakeyMakey to Raspberry PI, connect RaspberryPi to console.  They got some stuff on it here. http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2011/12/gimx-lets-you-control-playstation-3.html

Good luck! Hope you can share your progress!

OneSwitch

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: MakeyMakey on PS3 and Xbox 360 (How To)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 02:27:55 PM »
Hi John,

Thank you. I wish I could throw enough time at those great ideas, but I've too many other projects ahead of it. Really would appreciate it if someone could crack this nut, and out-line a step by step solution. Could make a big difference to disabled people.

Cheers,

Barrie