Author Topic: Teaching With MakeyMakey  (Read 20206 times)

sbmiller87

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Teaching With MakeyMakey
« on: August 15, 2012, 10:36:20 PM »
Hey I'm Shaun, I'm a teacher of Science and ICT in coastal Australia, I was late to the MakeyMakey party, devastated I missed the Kickstarter pledge, but I am pre ordering my individual kit soon. As a teacher I was wondering if anybody has thought about the potential for the MakeyMakey in classrooms, is there going to be any support or education packages, class set options, etc?

Also if there are any other teachers here that plan on incorporating this little device into their curriculum I would love to share ideas and discuss how to best implement it, Science, ICT, Robotics, Mathematics, Music, whatever.

If there is somewhere else i should post this let me know. Cheers and happy making.

yanivcogan

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching With MakeyMakey
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 08:27:28 AM »
as for educational ideas I can have some, as a student:

also it seems to be a better fit for smaller children a room full of objects connected to a makeymakey with a software that will choose a certain sound (or word) acoording to what key is pressed could make more intuative way to learn language, for it's more similar to how one learns his first language. for example when one presses an apple the software will play a sound document "Apple". I don't know of any software that does that currntly so maybe you will have to make it yourself, or rearrange the shortcut keys in a sound library software such as itunes.

again for smaller children is a way of learning math, let's say we have 2 small boards: one represent '4' and the other '6'. each of them is connected to the matching number on the makeymakey, now we also have a bucket full of something conductive such as aluminium foil, which is connected to the earth cable. now based on the out puts from the makey makey one can find what is in the bucket, so if you put the 4 board in it the computer will show '4', but if you add the 6 board it will shoe '10'. you will need to write software in order for the 2 signals to be used, and according to makeymakey FAQ it supports 6 keys at once. the boards can be exchanged with oranges, so instead of having a literal math problem such as "Dan had 4 oranges, he gave 2 of them to John" children could really put the oranges in the buscket, count them, chck the answare and get visual feedback on the screen.

again these 2 ideas are for smaller children, because in higher ages things gets too complicated for makeymakey, and doesn't really need any makeymakey support, I can't think of anyway makeymakey will help solving equations of the third degree with 2 variables.

I'm sorry about my english, yet I don't think makeymakey can help me at this point...  :)

Gregor

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 09:36:19 AM »
Hi Shaun,
i'm thinking about two options.
First is a teambuilding-game. 4 Students are playing a game, wich could be controlled by the arrow-keys. The "MarbleRacer" (-> Scratch) seems to be a good choice. Each Arrow-key is controlled by a  device wich is conected to the Makey Makey. The distance between each controller is at least 1 meter. The group with the best result (or the most creative solution...  ;) ) gets a reward.
Second option is, to test the conductivity of different materials.
Gregor

sbmiller87

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 04:42:58 AM »
Just pre-ordered my MakeyMakey, so excited.

@yanivcogan
those are some great ideas and I love the simple concepts of just connecting things like apples as a "buttons" to teach simple English, this might have some standing at higher levels i.e. Years 7-10 in LOTE, "Languages Other Than English". The use of this in projects i.e. having students do the programming themselves to teach someone else is an area, I lean towards a mix of this and your ideas would work at higher levels and provide more variability and opportunities for students.

@Gregor
Yes, we love our team exercises and games and conductivity is an obvious area that does need some structure to make it work with this tool, I can see some human chains to reach between objects, really good ideas. This is just what i wanted from this keep it going makers! 

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:53:22 AM by sbmiller87 »

sbmiller87

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 08:51:35 PM »
Some ideas as a teacher of ICT, we use game maker, and kodu at years 7 & 8 as an introduction to light coding and logic, using the MakeyMakey as a controller and having the kids, delegate keys to functions and building game specific controllers provides the students much more opportunity to create, plan and interact with the computers.

Just another idea, build on it as you like...

yanivcogan

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 07:12:13 AM »
oh, right, where I come from english is the second language, so I had that in mind.
anyway I just wanted to note that even though I can't see away that makey makey will revolutionize the way people learn it can make fun learning much more accessible for instance for biology lessons about lets say the human cell it is possible to find an interactive model or drawing of the cell, but it's probably expensive, with the makeymakey creating such sort of things is really easy. lots of classes have a projector that usually allows projecting slideshowes on the board. with makey makey a small part of the board can be "interactive corner" in which a makey makey will be connected to a set of movable objects that will allow interactivity with the projection through the board it self.
in general I think most of my ideas will require a wireless version of makey makey I plan to post a new subject about this idea for I don't think I was able to clearafy myself here.

once again I'm sorry if my english isn't so great...

I've just posted my idea:
http://www.makeymakey.com/forums/index.php?topic=1130.0
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 09:19:53 AM by yanivcogan »

sbmiller87

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 09:20:53 AM »
Oh I didn't realize that was what you meant, at least we're on the same wavelength, I certainly agree that it will not revolutionize teaching, but it is definitely another tool in my ever expanding arsenal, and one that shows potential across a range of subjects, I really hope there are more people that feel this way and find this forum, the more ideas there are floating about the better it will be for all of us.

sbmiller87

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 08:48:56 PM »
I would love to hear from anybody who could say weather or not there is the possibility for some sort of educational package or class sets. I'm writing reports at the minute so this will be on the back-burner for a bit, but ill be back soon with plenty of ideas, and when my kit shows up ill have all sorts, "I hope".

sbmiller87

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 04:05:53 AM »
My Makey Makey showed up today, super stoked only problem is my holidays end very shortly and I still have alot to do, frown. I have and will have a tinker and post any cool things I come up with but in the meantime something I feel is important has come to mind, SOFTWARE. Without it the Makey Makey is very limited so I want to also include posts regarding the software you guys are using with your MakeyMakey unless a similar thread already exists in which case point me there. My first impulse is to play with GameMaker http://store.steampowered.com/app/214850/, and any things on my web browser any other ideas just post below, cheers.

sbmiller87

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 09:21:09 PM »
GameMaker is a perfect companion to my MakeyMakey, after like an hour or so of fiddling with the MakeyMakey, GameMaker, Audacity and Photoshop I have put together a simple little touch object, show image, say name game that is very kitsch, but when someone simply touches a flower and the computer shows them a picture and says flower in a robotic voice the reactions are amazing, my students are going to love this. Very excited and soo stoked.

This is a link to my GameMaker files, hopefully some of you can have a play, GameMaker studio on steam is having audio issues at the minute so you may have trouble with any audio.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qa7b9pmde983k95/wbJtyY3dDF

Space plugs into a Banana
Up plugs into a Glass of Water
Down Plugs into Me (Shaun)
Right Plugs into a Flower

Or just use your keyboard for the really lame boring version.

sbmiller87

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 01:03:55 AM »
MakeyMakey went to school today, the kids loved him and the staff even more, definitely will be organizing a class set eventually. A new ideal for implementation in the classroom, INTERACTIVE POSTERS, I envision my students assembling a poster with metal buttons like those ones that make paper pivot, then as you want more info press here, a top secret computer programmed with a relevant speech would be triggered and and everybody would fall silent in awe of this amazing new technology. Well I'm still excited anyway...

sbmiller87

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 06:15:40 AM »
Just thought I'd share another little GameMaker file, I know "Another Piano" but hey its a MakeyMakey and this one could help teach simple music theory, I think the true learning for student though is in building these games so I have been toying with these ideas to so the potential for students to create this kind of piece, I think they are well capable so I will be incorporating my own MakeyMakey when the kids work on GameMaker in ICT. Oh and the piano can be found in the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7i426ul7410po47/6nXE32Y0mQ

molee07

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 02:07:36 PM »
Hello, I am an assistant in a Life Skills classroom meaning that I work with mentally and physically disabled students. Their learning levels are anywhere from Kindergarten to High school capabilities. We are looking for ways to turn the Makey into a spelling, reading or subtraction game. Have you thought of any ways to use it for those purposes? I have not yet played with the Makey Makey yet, so I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of its capabilities. Some more awesome ideas like the ones you have been bouncing around would be great!