Author Topic: Whack-A-Potato!  (Read 11868 times)

bluntbody

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Whack-A-Potato!
« on: June 09, 2013, 03:35:49 PM »
Whack-A-Mole, with potatoes...!
    http://bluntbody.com/whack-a-potato/

The game is free to download, and runs on OSX or Windows.

It can be easily customised with your own pictures for the "moles".  Add children, grownups, friends or enemies!  No code changes required.

The code is open source, so if you like hacking you can get in there and make little tweaks or turn it into something completely different!

Enjoy!

John
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 04:31:09 AM by bluntbody »

sparks

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: Whack-A-Potato
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:49:31 AM »
Wow, looks pretty neat! Sadly I'm on a Windows machine and can't test it :(

bluntbody

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 04:41:32 AM »
I should have a Windows version soon...  I'll post an update when it's available.

sparks

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 03:23:26 PM »
Looking forward to it!

bluntbody

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 04:27:29 PM »
Windows version is now available...

vistamundial

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: Whack-A-Potato!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 01:33:55 PM »
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone is having trouble getting the game to open up on Windows computers. I am :(. I work at a community center and we would love to play it with the children here. I have attached a screenshot of the error we are getting. We have tried different computers and have unzipped etc. Any helpful hints would be appreciated. We mostly have Windows 7 on our Desktops and Windows 7 starter on our netbooks.

bluntbody

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 05:50:44 PM »
Hi

I'm sorry you are having problems running Whack-A-Potato.

I have seen some problems like this with old display drivers.

Please check with your graphics adaptor manufacturer and update your display driver to the latest version.

If you still have problems then contact me directly with details of:
- Graphics adaptor make/model
- Windows version.

Cheers,

John
john@glowingslab.com
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 06:02:30 PM by bluntbody »

vistamundial

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 03:22:26 PM »
Hi John,

Thank you so much for making this wonderful program and for offering to help me solve why it is not running on our Windows computers. I did check to make sure we have the latest Graphics Adapter display driver and they are  the most updated available. I did the automatic search for updated drivers.

Our desktops have the Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset on Windows 7 machines.

We were also unable to run it on our Windows 7 laptop  I did update the driver but sadly it would still not start. It has a Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

Our netbooks are running Windows 7 starter and have the Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family

Any other helpful hints would be appreciated.

bluntbody

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 06:40:19 PM »
I think that the problem is that these graphics adaptors are relatively old and don't have very good support for OpenGL.

However, the good news is that the Loom Game Engine has just been updated to support Direct3D on Windows rather than OpenGL, which improves compatibility.  I have just built a new Windows version of Whack-A-Potato using the latest Loom version.  Please could you try deleting your current version, downloading the new version and trying that to see if it works.

Download the new version using the same download link on the Whack-A-Potato page:

John

vistamundial

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 03:01:24 PM »
John you ROCK!!!! It works I am looking forward to using it with the children at our community center. Thank you

Tristan

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 04:04:32 PM »
As a new user, I was looking for ideas to get started with. This is a quick download and customizable program for Windows. I was able to whack-a-momma within 20 minutes.  Thank you for creating this!

lukalucks

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 06:14:01 AM »
Hi John,

Thank you so much for making this wonderful program and for offering to help me solve why it is not running on our Windows computers. I did check to make sure we have the latest Graphics Adapter display driver and they are  the most updated available. I did the automatic search for updated drivers.

Our desktops have the Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset on Windows 7 machines.

We were also unable to run it on our Windows 7 laptop  I did update the 3 week diet driver but sadly it would still not start. It has a Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

Our netbooks are running Windows 7 starter and have the Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family

Any other helpful hints would be appreciated.

This is rather ingenious of you bluntbody. Whack a potato looks great. I like that you can customize the look as well so it doesn't just have to be for kids.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 01:37:46 PM by lukalucks »