Author Topic: Competition Questions  (Read 14500 times)

sparks

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Competition Questions
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:53:28 PM »
Questions about the competition? Ask them here and we'll get you an answer faster than you can re-fry refried beans*!

*heat of pan not specified

hilly

• MaKey MaKer
  • the maker
    • View Profile
Re: Competition Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:03:59 PM »
if we win how do we recive the money by cheque cash bank

wakeupsilver

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • MaKey MaKey
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 02:39:08 AM »
Check

CruzMark

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 02:30:36 PM »
Sure, here is a question.  I'm wondering about the focus of the contest.  Are you looking to teach folks how to use the Makey Makey and promote that, or are you more interested in using the Makey Makey to teach folks about something else (creativity, circuitry, the world) using the Makey Makey as a platform?

Or both.

Thanks.

Mark

wakeupsilver

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • MaKey MaKey
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:26:00 AM »
The contest focus is more on How-To lead people in doing something creative with MaKey MaKey as the platform. It's okay for the focus to be teaching people how to use the MaKey MaKey, but it makes more sense to me to engage people in doing something fun and meaningful, and it will then be natural to learn a bit about MaKey MaKey along the way. No need to go text book style on teaching MaKey MaKey. If people find it useful/interesting then they will learn to use it anyways. More important to inspire and get a good group energy going. What do you think?

CruzMark

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 02:10:16 PM »
I think my question was a little more meta than that, though it was all the way back yesterday, so who knows.   :o

I was more interested in whether the point was promoting the Makey Makey, or promoting creativity/learning.  It was more about intent, and less about procedure.

Although, delving deeper into the Makey Makey could also be a good topic of a tutorial.  But then it becomes almost more of an Arduino discussion.

Thanks.

Mark

The contest focus is more on How-To lead people in doing something creative with MaKey MaKey as the platform. It's okay for the focus to be teaching people how to use the MaKey MaKey, but it makes more sense to me to engage people in doing something fun and meaningful, and it will then be natural to learn a bit about MaKey MaKey along the way. No need to go text book style on teaching MaKey MaKey. If people find it useful/interesting then they will learn to use it anyways. More important to inspire and get a good group energy going. What do you think?

wakeupsilver

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • MaKey MaKey
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 10:56:36 AM »
The original seed is from 9 Dots (a non-profit for education). They called us up and said they wanted more guides and curriculum-type documents for MaKey MaKey. We said we were working on it. They said let's run a contest. They wanted to sponsor it. They said the reason they wanted this was because they felt that if there were more guides then MaKey MaKey would be easier to use in after school, and school situations. They felt that there could be a lot of creative experiences, but some of them were untapped right now with lack of guides. So the original intent is to give people more creative experiences. But it is not just a creative experiences contest, it is a MaKey MaKey Group-How-To creative experiences contest. So you can't really say it doesn't promote the MaKey MaKey. Surely it does. But there are probably better ways to promote.

Keep in mind I'm paraphrasing 9 Dots from a conversation I had 6 months ago, so if you want to know what they actually think, and not just my interpretation, please see http://9-dots.org/ or read this statement:
"We provide math and science after-school programming, free of charge, for underprivileged K-12 students in the Hollywood area. We offer homework help and math and science enrichment, utilizing one-on-one mentoring and tutoring, computer software, group projects, and hands-on activities."

CruzMark

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 02:09:06 PM »
Thanks for the insight.

I've now have a good framework and understanding of the requirements and will figure out a how-to that meets those.

You guys rock.

Mark

noodles

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 02:41:05 AM »
Is the competition open to folks outside the United States? I work at an education and teacher-training school in Jakarta, and some of our students would like to participate. Thanks!

sparks

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 06:44:30 AM »
Of course! The MaKey MaKey competition is open to anyone who wants to enter, irrespective of where they live! I'm part of the staff and live in England, for example, so MaKey MaKey is used to dealing overseas :)

twzeid

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 06:56:22 PM »
I'd like to submit the guide to a workshop I ran into the contest. The workshop includes quite a bit of Scratch programming. Should I assume some knowledge of Scratch and provide a more general guide, or would it be better to assume the person using this would not know anything about Scratch?

Also, would it be possible to submit scratch files as an example of the program they would create?

Thanks!

sparks

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 01:50:55 PM »
Scratch is a fairly well known program,  but not everyone knows about it. You can make that assumption if you choose, or perhaps a link to another's guide to using Scratch, the Scratch website or something would help make your guide more accessible! As for Scratch files, you can easily upload them to somewhere like dropbox and link to them in the guide, or if they're simple, show screenshots of the code being used (if it only had a few sprites of something) You can right click the scripting pane in Scratch 1.4 and select "save picture of scripts" to get an image with all the scripts for that sprite shown on it!