Author Topic: MaKey MaKey 64bit Windows 7 Driver  (Read 47866 times)

whyjustin

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
MaKey MaKey 64bit Windows 7 Driver
« on: June 08, 2012, 04:42:04 PM »
I am having troubles getting Windows 7 x64 to install the driver for the MaKey MaKey. Is this driver available and necessary? The first time I connected the MaKey MaKey, the computer searched for drivers for a bootstrap and for the device itself - neither of which it found. After uninstalling the driver, subsequent searches just look for a MaKey MaKey driver which cannot be found.

Thanks.

wakeupsilver

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • MaKey MaKey
Re: MaKey MaKey 64bit Windows 7 Driver
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 11:52:18 PM »
Try it with no driver. It should just work immediately after plugging it in. If not, please post back here. (If something tells you to install a driver just cancel out of that).

Does that work?

whyjustin

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 04:56:17 PM »
I realized it is an issue with USB 3.0. A USB 2.0 port on the same computer works fine. I've written the user experience with both 2.0 and 3.0 (sorry for the copy pasta but I got lazy). Thanks for the response: I already had  program coded and ready to go but it just wasn't as fun using the arrow and space keys.

USB 2.0:
When attaching hardware to Windows, the Device Manager appears in the status bar saying something akin to Installing Device. Opening this shows the Driver Software Installation windows where a USB Composite Device and USB Input Device are shown and quickly become Ready To Use after Windows searches for drivers. The MaKey MaKey is recognized (by name) and Windows automatically looks for a driver saying Searching Windows Update. After a while the driver is not found and it reads "No driver found" with a big red X.

USB 3.0:
When attaching hardware to Windows, the Device Manager appears in the status bar saying something akin to Installing Device. Opening this shows the Driver Software Installation windows where the MaKey MaKey is recognized (by name) and Windows automatically looks for a driver saying Searching Windows Update. After a while the driver is not found and it reads "No driver found" with a big red X. There are no entries for USB Composite Device nor USB Input Device.

rockerest

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 07:51:23 PM »
Hi,

The above post (by whyjustin) doesn't appear to resolve this issue; it seems to just elaborate on it.

I'm having this problem (MaKey Makey, Windows 7 x64) and I can't seem to resolve it.

The first time I plugged the MM in, Windows (7 x64) recognized it by name, but failed to install any drivers.
I used device manager to remove the MaKey MaKey entry, hoping that no entry at all would be better.
After the MM still didn't work, I re-scanned for devices.  Windows then found "USB IO Board," but again failed to install any drivers.
I can't get "MaKey MaKey" to be recognized as the device again, and every "delete-rescan-install-fail" cycle only finds the "USB IO Board" entry.

Is there a solution to this issue?

I just got my MaKey MaKey today and I really want to bring it to work and show all the other geeks ;-)

mastallama

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:29:09 PM »
I'm having the exact same user experience as posted above.  Please help!

atylernelson

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:56:16 PM »
I think I'm having the same issue; I've got a power light but no key presses work, no matter the combination of connections I make. The green light on the front of the MM isn't lighting up either. MM is not recognized at all in the device manager, and I've tried it in USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports.

Running Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit, on Dell Latitude XT2

mdavies

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 10:06:06 PM »
I had the same issue.  USB 2 port worked.

dcohen

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 05:02:37 PM »
Same issue here, Win x64 Ultimate.

http://imgur.com/TA8Fw

psiclopz

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 03:54:51 AM »
I also have the same issue.  The Makey Makey itself works without the driver, but I can't use the Arudino IDE to modify any of the settings or anything until this is resolved.  None of the Leonardo drivers that come with the IDE work, probably because instead of a virtual COM port it's showing up as a USB IO Board instead.

Solandri

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 08:10:36 PM »
Same problem here as well on three laptops (Sony Z1, Samsung Princeton, Thinkpad X300).  Win 7 Ultimate, Professional, and Home Premium 64-bit, all with USB 2.0 ports.  I get the default keypress inputs, but I really want access to the Arudino features.

gkirk

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 03:18:49 PM »
I'm having the same problem. When following the instructions here:
http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/378#windowsDriver

My Other Devices is listed as:
"Aruduino Leonardo"

instead of USB io device.

If I force windows to install the driver using the 'install legacy driver' option, it gets recognized as a makey makey when i plug it in, but it says the driver doesn't work.

Window 7/64 bit. I'm not 100% sure I even have a usb2 on this machine, but I've tried all the usb ports with the same result.

SN

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 05:27:50 AM »
same issue for too - W7 64bit USB3 port - its not working!

Seems like this issue has been around for sometime and no response on this thread - poor show guys!
Steve N

Gingah

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 01:22:30 PM »
My Other Devices is listed as:
"Aruduino Leonardo"

instead of USB io device.

Mine does the very same (I'm on Windows 7/64-bit, using a USB2 port). When connected it adds an Arduino Lenoardo to the "Devices and Printers" overview, and under its properties hardware tab it lists two Arduino Leonardo devices, and an USB Composite Device. Also cannot force-select the driver SparkFun lists, as apparently:

"The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."

So I'm stuck with a Makey Makey that I cannot use, nor is there any information on how to remedy this. Really disappointing that the creators did not foresee such an event and create guides on what to do when plug-n-play does not work.

So much for "Plug it in -> Hook it up -> Make stuff happen on your computer"...

wakeupsilver

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • MaKey MaKey
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 05:37:51 PM »
Ole says (in an email to me):

I have managed to resolve the issue of the Makey Makey not connecting by running through Windows Update. I should mention that there was not a load of updates installed, and I think I can fairly assume that it was the installation of Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 that made the change. When I connected the Makey this time, it was recognized as a USB Composite Device and a Makey Makey (COM8) in the device manager.

I send this to both of you just in case you have had similar issues with other customers, to let you know that this service pack might be a prerequisite for getting the Makey to connect properly.

LBP

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 03:42:06 PM »
I have the same problem with 64 bit windows 7.  I have installed all recommended software updates, and I am still unable to install the windows driver. I purchased the MaKey MaKey to use with arduino/grasshopper/firefly, so this is very frustrating.
Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?