Author Topic: MaKey MaKey emotion logger  (Read 5314 times)

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
  • "best played LANs of gamer dens, gang aft MaKey!"
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
MaKey MaKey emotion logger
« on: February 28, 2013, 11:41:41 AM »
I'm using Quick Macro but am looking for an open source option that is similar or better, especially something that works well on RaspPi. I can map simple hotkeys such as the letter "a" to controlled complex actions on my computer, and one thing I am working on involves a computer, a MaKey MaKey, some wire, tinfoil and different items that are aesthetically awesome to interact with for therapeutic purposes. My idea is to make, for instance, an angry ball that one would touch or smash or squeeze when angry along with other items for different emotions. This would automatically generate a database or journal entry. This can help when someone with emotional needs wants to express themselves or log their emotional state to help their therapy/recovery but are not communicative or are somehow limited in expressive and communicative ability. Quick Macro does VB scripting, python, shell commands, all kinds of things but I'd rather donate 50 dollars to a good open source project than pay 30 dollars USD for a limited and proprietary design. I've got it to work right now where six different keyboard buttons will log six different emotions in a Microsoft Access file for me and I'm working on making it so that the space button through the MaKey MaKey can function as a lock so that I can activate, as an example, the "happy mood" sensor and lock it in with the space button trigger until I come back and decide to unlock it. This would let me log how long I feel a certain emotion, too. Later, I have a better chance of being able to come in and manually make additional notes which is highly useful for emotional management. If anyone wants to help with this or take off with this project (Feel free, open source idea here), I like to collab. I feel like it has a lot of potential to help out those with mental and emotional needs. Could be useful for anyone, really. It'd be best if this could become a RaspPi project so that a single RaspPi could dedicate to it in a project box with a MaKey MaKey.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:30:00 PM by James B »
-=-=-
"All life is an experiment, the more experiments you MaKey MaKey the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
-=-=-

sparks

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: MaKey MaKey emotion logger
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 02:23:51 PM »
Have you considered using Panther? It's a version of MIT's Scratch that I worked on a few years ago with a few other people. Like Scratch it can respond to keyboard presses, but it has the added feature of being able to read and write to files on your computer. I've not used Microsoft access before, but I've managed to use Panther to edit word and excel documents before.

The Scratch forums have a Panther development thread in the Advanced Topics forum  or you're welcome to ask questions here and I should spot them!

Download Panther here: http://pantherprogramming.weebly.com/download-panther.html
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:26:44 PM by sparks »

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
  • "best played LANs of gamer dens, gang aft MaKey!"
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 02:42:18 PM »
Well, you pretty much just blew my mind. This is awesome and exactly what I needed. Thank you tremendous wheelbarrows full!

8)
-=-=-
"All life is an experiment, the more experiments you MaKey MaKey the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
-=-=-

sparks

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 03:05:09 AM »
No problem. Since Panther writes pure data to files, and Microsoft documents have quite a lot of formatting included in their files, it may be worth seeing if there's a plain text format that Access can read and convert.

Panther allows users to write their own blocks using the "make a block" button in the variables menu. I find that often I need extra string and file functionality when working with files in Panther so why not check out the open-source code collection: The Local Block Library and look at the "files" and "operators" sections of the Panther part of the "library" thread?