Author Topic: MaKey MaKey invention idea - game glove for child with CP  (Read 23109 times)

Dominic

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
MaKey MaKey invention idea - game glove for child with CP
« on: May 29, 2012, 08:20:40 PM »
my son has quadriplegic cerebral palsy, yet (unusually) has fine motor control in his digits. I would like to make a game glove so he can play games on the computer and read digital comics independently by using it to scroll through pages

pysjamas

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: MaKey MaKey invention idea - game glove for child with CP
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 08:25:02 PM »
I'f it was up to me, then your idea would be one of the winners: )

Dominic

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:28:05 PM »
Thanks pysjamas :)

weavingmajor

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:33:56 PM »
me too, what pysjamas said!

bsellers267

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 08:34:43 PM »
I think your idea is genuinely awesome. I agree with pysjamas, your idea should be one of the winners.  :D

lightnin100

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 09:49:23 PM »
Woah, seems awesome!
Any ideas about the specifics? You'll need to figure out a way to connect him to ground, and make contacts with various conductors.

Dominic

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 05:02:33 AM »
Wow. Blown away by the responses. I get the feeling this is going to be a great community.

Earthing is a good, thoughtful question. He is in a chair most of the time. I pledged on kickstarter anyway regardless of this competition so some thoughts on that would be appreciated. I'll set up a better scheme later. (at work at the moment)

pysjamas

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »
If you don't win, can't you start a project on kickstarter :D?

acellama88

• MaKey MaKer
  • Computer Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 12:02:11 PM »
I like this idea as well, and think it would be fairly simple to implement.  For example, if you put a conductive pad (Copper Tape, or something similar) on the tip of the thumb, and run that to your grounding wire, you could place 4 other conductive pads along the side of the index finger to represent each of the 4 directions similar to your posted image.  One on each of the Knuckles, and at the tip of the finger.  When you create a fist, the thumb could then easily touch the 4 separate pads to create the circuit. Then it is a matter of putting everything on a glove, connecting wires to everything and to the Makey Makey! I love you idea, it is simple and useful!

Dominic

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 10:11:41 AM »
Yes to what acellama88 said, that is exactly what I had in mind. I was thinking i could use conductive fabric and conductive thread. Something like this > http://proto-pic.co.uk/conductive-fabric-12x13-ripstop/

Thanks for the feedback, I showed my wife and she was amazed. I never did get time to draw up a schematic, but you obviously all get it :)

I was thiking, ultimately with 2 of these gloves and a head switch he could play a more complex FPS type game (when he's a bit older.. He's 9 at the moment)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 10:23:12 AM by Dominic »

Dominic

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 05:43:52 AM »
I found the perfect glove also. http://www.joke.co.uk/child-black-cotton-gloves~12091/ turns out its hard to find a glove for a child thats not a mitten or a motorcycle glove!

vaLiAm

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 09:22:11 AM »
Great idea! I am interested in using the MM with my students who have disabilities. I was hoping there would be people like you with ideas for fun (and practical) use. If you get time to draw the schematic, my non-tech brain would be grateful.

Dominic

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 04:59:21 PM »
Ok, well,

I did a test with him today to check he had the dexterity to follow the original idea and to be honest he struggled. He only has little hands etc. BUT I modified the idea slightly and tested it with him and he could do it. I have modified the positions for the pads/switches.

I would use conductive ribbon to make the pads looped over the top of the finger but not all the way around so as not to touch the other pads. The thumb would connect to the earth, completing the circuit (is this right?) and I would use conductive thread stitched to the edge of the glove to connect the crocodile clips to. I have attached a schematic (don't laugh I have a degree in fine art...I SAID DON'T LAUGH! ;) )

acellama88

• MaKey MaKer
  • Computer Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 10:09:02 AM »
I looked at your schematic, and I have seen way worse! Clear and Concise is the best policy ;)  You are correct with the thumb being the ground, since that will be the to common finger to all the other pads. 

I know Sparkfun has a great selection of E-Textile materials that would be perfect for your project if you are looking for materials.  Keep up the good work!

Komodo OpenLab

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Komodo OpenLab
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 10:38:12 AM »
This idea would go perfect with ours! Your son could then use the same input method to control an Android or iOS device!
http://www.makeymakey.com/forums/index.php?topic=345.0