Author Topic: Pee Logger - UPDATED WITH VIDEO  (Read 26164 times)

cgenco

• MaKey MaKer
  • Hi! I'm a CSE undergrad who loves to make things!
    • View Profile
Pee Logger - UPDATED WITH VIDEO
« on: June 03, 2012, 05:16:43 AM »
Topic title:
Pee Logger

Acknowledgements:
A fork of pt's Toddler pee trainer.

Video: (scroll down)

Description:
I've had a recent obsession with logging everything. An aspect of basic health that would be reasonably easy to track, log, and plot for trends would be amount and frequency of urination. This application of the MaKey MaKey input device would log the amount of time a circuit is made (correcting for minor flow variations) and log this information for personal use. If the user approximates their average urine flow volume, total volume of urination could also be calculated and logged. Apart from the obvious benefit of maintaining adequate water consumption, this information would be extremely useful in identifying potential cases of diabetes, or adding more valuable information to a diabetic's health status.

You could also, you know, have contests with your friends to see who can pee the longest or play epic music while you pee or something.

Connections:
Conductive bath mat <--> earth (ground) on the MaKey MaKey
Conductive tape going into toilet water <--> space on the MaKey MaKey

Software:
Custom script to log pee duration and time and calculate volume.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:52:21 PM by cgenco »

itamarcu

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: Pee Logger
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 07:45:07 AM »
That's an awesome suggestion! But there are two problems I noticed immediately:
1. You will have to take off your shoes before urinating.
2. And what if I sit during the process/I am a female?
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one!”

cgenco

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: Pee Logger
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 12:07:46 PM »
  • Can install alternative input on wall, seat, etc. that you can lean on if wearing shoes
  • Should work just the same (either bare feet on the conductive bath mat or touching a contact on the seat)

cgenco

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: Pee Logger - UPDATED WITH VIDEO
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 06:58:06 AM »
Updated with a video I made today :D

lightnin

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 10:01:05 AM »
Awesome! And nice video. :)

Unfortunately, there are some technical hurdles.
While it may look like a stream, when you hit it with a strobe light, your stream may not be continuous. But for the MaKey MaKey to be triggered, the electrons need to be able to flow continuously through the urine stream in a closed circuit - at least for an instant - something which they will not do if the stream isn't completely connected (i.e. is made up of a separate drops, as most streams of that size actually are...)

Still worth trying out! But you might have to pee very close to the water in the bowl.

I shall reference a video of a robot peeing for illustration: :P
Turning Back Time

stevetheipad

• MaKey MaKer
  • I'm a Scratcher and programmer and a creator. :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 11:21:42 AM »
Hehe, awesome video!  :D

cgenco

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 09:02:43 PM »
Awesome! And nice video. :)

Unfortunately, there are some technical hurdles.
While it may look like a stream, when you hit it with a strobe light, your stream may not be continuous. But for the MaKey MaKey to be triggered, the electrons need to be able to flow continuously through the urine stream in a closed circuit - at least for an instant - something which they will not do if the stream isn't completely connected (i.e. is made up of a separate drops, as most streams of that size actually are...)

Still worth trying out! But you might have to pee very close to the water in the bowl.

Indeed, distance will be a crucial variable (that was also the Myth Busters Conclusion when testing if you could get electrocuted by peeing on an electric fence). It may very well turn out that this only works if you pee sitting down.

I'm counting on the human pee stream to be fairly variable, however, which may induce instantaneous moments of conduction which could be smoothed together in software.

Any fluid mechanics engineers here with a fancy formula for continuity of a stream of urine?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 09:09:11 PM by cgenco »

Jason

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 03:34:47 AM »
It terrible, trust me, worse than an kids water gun.
What u can do is instead of grounding the user, you put the ground really close to the contact point.b
That way, when pee touch the contact point, it will have a really high chance of touching the ground too.
(but this is will bring aiming into the formula :/ )
Also you might need to right the program so it will keep counting the time until the connect break more than x seconds, so the gap between water stream will not keep stop the timer.

Credit goes to "lightnin" for the close contact idea!

lightnin

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »

Credit goes to "lightnin" for the close contact idea!

Credit goes to you for thinking of applying it here!! It hadn't occurred to me that that would be a way to solve this design challenge. But you're right - it should work! You'll probably need to mount the contacts on some sort of surface that sheds, ahem, water, very quickly - otherwise it'll just get soaked and keep on conducting even after the stream has stopped.

Maybe a bullseye dot cut from copper tape surrounded by a circle of copper  connected to ground - all mounted on some sort of cheap, highly available plastic - maybe from a soda bottle?

(I think cheap materials will be important, because that'll let you make a new prototype each time you iterate, rather than having to tweak the last one, which you will have just peed on. :)

lightnin

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 03:08:25 PM »
Here is a drawing to help visualize this solution.  The grey lines are conductor, the blue X is the "target" to aim for, and the rest you'll figure out. :)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 03:15:20 PM by lightnin »

cgenco

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 03:03:29 AM »
Brilliant gentlemen! I especially like the part where electricity isn't going through my penis anymore.

If I may put a spin on it: what if the water in the bowl is the ground, and the key is the x?

This opens the possibility for multiple targets as well (pee combos?).

Also, you could prevent flushing/clogged toilet from triggering it by adding another key at the back/side of the toilet that would be super hard to pee on but would get triggered during a flush. If that key is active, ignore everything else.

Love the cheap materials idea for fast iteration; I have the implementation of this perfectly imagined.

When are these shipping again?

project10

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 09:57:52 PM »
I like the idea of multiple targets, maybe a special combo to "unlock the flush"!  This would work really well in public trough urinals, no one likes pressing that big button in the middle to flush everyone else's pee.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:02:26 PM by project10 »

Jason

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 10:01:06 PM »
Combo unlock make me laugh, but its an awesome idea.
Since you can detect when you stop peeing, you can make it flush automatically after your job done.

cgenco

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 10:04:35 PM »
I like the idea of multiple targets, maybe a special combo to "unlock the flush"!  This would work really well in public trough urinals, no one likes pressing that big button in the middle to flush everyone else's pee.

Haha, I love it! Perhaps attach a servo motor to the MaKey? Can you even do that?

Drous

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 05:01:45 PM »
hi
how did you manage to write the script??