Author Topic: Is it a an Arduino?  (Read 26878 times)

denie

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Is it a an Arduino?
« on: June 02, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »
Hi,

I'vd been reading a bit about the MakeyMakey, looks like a funthing!

There is some mention about it beeing an Arduino board.

I would really like to get started on it, but I expect it willl take a couple of monthe before I can get my hanhds on a board.

Inthe meanwhile, I do have a collection of Arduino boards here at hand.

My question, what does it take to turn an Arduino board into a MaKeyMakey board?

Cheers,
Denie

stevetheipad

• MaKey MaKer
  • I'm a Scratcher and programmer and a creator. :)
    • View Profile
Re: Is it a an Arduino?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 08:33:03 PM »
Yes, the Kickstarter description/information includes some information about it turning into an Arduino board:
MaKey MaKey runs on top of Arduino. You can start using your MaKey MaKey board in "Arduino mode" at any time. This would allow you to spin motors, turn on LEDs, or anything else that an Arduino can do.

However, [and this is just a guess] the way the Makey Makey is set up, it looks as if it was custom made enough that it isn't easily achievable using a plain Arduino board.

Let's see what Eric and Jay say, though.

denie

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: Is it an Arduino?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:21:40 PM »
It would be interesing to know if it is.

I have not found any source code on the MakeyMakey site.

Is it an open project or a pure commercial project? Does it abide the GPL.

There is no mention of the bootloader or anything that I could feed to any type of the chips.
Got a collecion of AtMega chips here, so I can test.

Cheers
Denie

SJester

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 03:56:04 PM »
I'm interested in looking at the code, too. No interest in turning an Arduino into this - I like the MaKey setup very much already - but access to the sketch running on it would let me integrate it with some existing sensors, servos, and sketches I already use.
If someone does get the original sketch, please post and let us know. I know I'd sign an NDA for it.

tigertrainer

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 01:13:15 AM »
If you already have the Makey Makey, couldn't you somehow download the Arduino Sketch it is using through USB to your computer?

If you go on the SparksFun site, http://www.sparkfun.com/products/11085 you'll find the schematics and the Eagle files for the Makey Makey near the bottom of the page (just before the video). Here are the schematics: http://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/datasheets/Dev/Arduino/Boards/makey_makey-v12.pdf

The concept is very simple. It uses 22M resistors to create more sensitivity, then you get a on/off message in the Arduino. The code for this must be extremely simple. It's just a question of checking each pin for an on event, and, if there is one, to trigger whatever you want (Makey Makey triggers a key input).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:19:17 AM by tigertrainer »

SJester

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 08:51:03 AM »
Nope, can't download the sketch from a board. When it's uploaded it gets interpreted from a human readable sketch to machine gibberish.

tigertrainer

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 09:02:24 AM »
You can use a disassembler to go from machine code to assembly language.

SJester

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 01:32:14 PM »
I don't write assembly...

But anyhoo, I have the source. Not sure yet whether they want it shared since it really is still beta. But I've had some success tinkering with it.

To answer the original question in the thread, it's an Arduino Leonardo (which adds USB keyboard and mouse support) plus that custom script, plus big fat resistors because the ones on the board aren't enough. Also it's got the physical ports for clips and stuff...

The Maker SHED currently only has the Leo without headers and it's for a price similar to the MaKey. That's without the frills.

Long story short, at this price I think it's worthwhile to just get the MaKey. Some people on Instructables did make banana keyboards and such with an Arduino or Propellor but meh... Sometimes it's nice to just have everything work right out of the box.

tigertrainer

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 01:42:48 PM »
Some people on Instructables did make banana keyboards and such with an Arduino or Propellor but meh... Sometimes it's nice to just have everything work right out of the box.

Definitely! Why re-invent the wheel if there is already something off the shelf that does the job.

However, and this is the great thing since Makey-Makey is open source (at least the hardware is since you can find the schematics on SparkFun), if you need added functionality, you can easily create your own hardware! The idea behind Makey-Makey isn't new. It simply uses the body, or other objects that conduct electricity to make a connection. If you have an Arduino laying around, you just need a 20 Megaohm resistor to make this circuit. It's really easy. And, if you need more inputs or bluetooth, you can easily make your own hardware for cheaper than Makey-Makey is selling. The Arduino Leonardo sells for 25$, but it has all kinds of functionalities that Makey-Makey does not use. If you buy only the parts you need, you can make a Makey-Makey for half that price and have more inputs and bluetooth.

wakeupsilver

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • MaKey MaKey
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 08:18:31 PM »
What an excellent discussion. Sorry We've been so so so so so so busy with everything I haven't posted to so many threads.

MaKey MaKey runs on top of Arduino. That means first we put the Arduino Leonardo bootloader on (ever so slightly modified to shut off the transmit LED). Then we put an Arduino sketch on top of the bootloader. We are giving away the sketch as soon as it's finalized. We had to first get MIT permission to open source the sketch. We now have that. It is very very close to being finalized, and then we plan to give it away. No MaKey MaKeys have shipped out just yet, so we don't feel there's a real need to rush the open sourcing out, and we want everything to work.

As for making your own, sure you can. It will help to have our sketch, but in theory you can just make it with your own sketch. Just break out some 10M to 100M resistors (anywhere in that range, higher resistors give you more sensitive results, but more susceptible to noise as well). Put the resistors in a voltage divider with the (let's say you picked 22M) 22M pulling up to 5V, and the alligator clips going out to the world from the digital input pin and from ground. Then just bridge ground to the digital input pin (which is also connected to the 22M pulling up to 5V) through an everyday object, such as your body and a banana.

Note you'd have to have a Leonardo, not an older Arduino, because it has HID and USB built in (ATMega32u4). Otherwise you'll be working even harder to emulate these functions (don't bother with that unless you enjoy it).

We think a fun activity once we release the source code will be for people to make their own MaKey MaKeys from Arduino Leonardos.

Thanks for all these great answers and such a good conversation here. Hopefully I can be more active in the future.

Be stoked!

SeattleAndrew

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »
It is very very close to being finalized, and then we plan to give it away. No MaKey MaKeys have shipped out just yet, so we don't feel there's a real need to rush the open sourcing out, and we want everything to work.

So I got my MaKey MaKey yesterday and have been playing around with it, But I want to change some of the logic of the controller by going into the guts of the sketch. For one example, I want to play Canabalt where the jump of the character is performed by a player opening a circuit, rather than closing. So essentially the player will be barefoot on a pad of aluminum foil. But I digress... I don't mean to push and prod.... but it's been a month and I can't find any of the sketch code...

eric

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
  • I'm Eric, one of the inventors of MaKey MaKey!
    • View Profile
    • my homepage
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 11:24:21 PM »
the sparkfun folks have posted the source code on github:

https://github.com/sparkfun/makey

there's a link to it from the sparkfun product page, where you can find the hardware files as well:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11085

paai

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 03:39:02 AM »
Let me reverse the question "is it an Arduino" in this way: can I use the Makeymakey as an Arduino?

That is, after installing the Arduino stuff on my Linux computer, can I address the MM in the same way as an Arduino, activating the output-pins on the MM without 'keys' being pressed on the MM and so on?

Paai

lizrocks

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
  • Everything is amazing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 10:45:34 AM »
Hi Paul! I think I'm reading your question correctly: the Programming the Makey Makey in Arduino in this SparkFun tutorial takes a closer look at that...  http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/388
Helper of All Things!

b708172

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 02:01:24 AM »
For people who find this thread in the future, the current link to the sketch is:

https://github.com/sparkfun/MaKeyMaKey