Author Topic: Jumpy Jumpy - A run and jump game!  (Read 7120 times)

hima

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Dev Blog
Jumpy Jumpy - A run and jump game!
« on: June 02, 2012, 08:52:01 AM »
Topic title:
Jumpy Jumpy

Description:
Running and jumping games are fun and usually have very simple control. With Jumpy Jumpy, the control will help you immerse more into the game. When you jump, the character will jump as well! And multiplayer is also possible :D

The way it works is that, usually in this type of game, the character will jump when you press a button. How high will the character jump depending on how long you hold the button. We will reverse this, and make it so that the character will NOT jump, when you're holding a key and will jump only when you release the key!

Thus, when you're standing on the solid conductor, the key is considering being pressed and the character won't jump. When you jump, however, your feet will leave the solid conductor, causing the key to be released. This will make it looks like the character jump along with you. Moreover, the longer you release your key, the higher the character will jump, which mean if you jump higher, the character will also jump higher as well.

Connections:
My finger <--> earth (ground) on the MaKey MaKey
Solid Conductor <--> corresponding game key on Makey Makey (A,S,D, J, K or L )

Software:
I'm a game developer from Thailand and I've written many games in the past. I can use Unity to make a multiplayer run and jump game that allow 1 - 6 players on the screen. I'm hoping to make a simple game that anyone can play and can be exhibit in an event.

Lovely Diagram!

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:54:12 AM by hima »

wondermike

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: Jumpy Jumpy - A run and jump game!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 11:46:26 AM »
I really like this idea.  It's deceptively clever.  Tying this to a game like Canabalt could be a real hit in kinetic games.  Though, you're game would have to leave a little more room for error.  Canabalt is pretty unforgiving.

itamarcu

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 04:02:56 PM »
A better solution would be to have two lines of conductive material on the floor (aluminum for instance) and then you won't have to connect a wire to yourself, and you'll be able to switch players without a problem even mid-game.
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one!”

stevetheipad

• MaKey MaKer
  • I'm a Scratcher and programmer and a creator. :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 04:07:10 PM »
Good idea! How will people play your game?

MrJinx

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 05:18:36 PM »
How did you create the reverse press? Please Share! I want to use this for mario!

jamesquinton

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 02:02:26 AM »
Topic title:
Jumpy Jumpy

Description:
Running and jumping games are fun and usually have very simple control. With Jumpy Jumpy, the control will help you immerse more into the game. When you jump, the character will jump as well! And multiplayer is also possible :D

The way it works is that, usually in this type of game, the character will jump when you press a button. How high will the character jump depending on how long you hold the button. We will reverse this, and make it so that the character will NOT jump, when you're holding a key and will jump only when you release the key!

Thus, when you're standing on the solid conductor, the key is considering being pressed and the character won't jump. When you jump, however, your feet will leave the solid conductor, causing the key to be released. This will make it looks like the character jump along with you. Moreover, the longer you release your key, the higher the character will jump, which mean if you jump higher, the character will also jump higher as well.

Connections:
My finger <--> earth (ground) on the MaKey MaKey
Solid Conductor <--> corresponding game key on Makey Makey (A,S,D, J, K or L )

Software:
I'm a game developer from Thailand and I've written many games in the past. I can use Unity to make a multiplayer run and jump game that allow 1 - 6 players on the screen. I'm hoping to make a simple game that anyone can play and can be exhibit in an event.

Lovely Diagram!

This idea of game is really cool. Did you started implementing it ? or is it ready? can you please share few more details on programming level how are you going to build it ?