Author Topic: Contest Details  (Read 32179 times)

eric

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
  • I'm Eric, one of the inventors of MaKey MaKey!
    • View Profile
    • my homepage
Contest Details
« on: May 29, 2012, 05:55:08 PM »
Hi MaKey MaKers!

We want people to dream up lots of ideas for MaKey MaKey projects. You've seen some of our ideas, but we know you can think of even more amazing things. What will YOU make with your MaKey MaKey? Is it a game that lots of people can play at once? An interface for your pet hamster? A really big invention that fills your whole basement, or your lawn? A tiny invention that sticks onto your fingertip, or your laptop screen? An installation in an art museum or a children's museum? A wacky prank? A tool to help you do your job, or your homework? A crazy new way to check your emailz? A sweet invention for your next dance party? Or something so mind-blowing we can't even imagine it yet?

HOW DO I ENTER?
Create a new topic in this forum (first register to create an account, then go here and click on "new topic"). Describe your MaKey MaKey invention idea. Keep it short, just a few sentences! If you want, include a drawing, a photo, or a short video. If you win, you'll get to actually create your invention!

Here is an example entry that shows what you need to include.

WHEN IS IT OVER?
Submit by the end of the day on Sunday June 3rd.

HOW WILL YOU CHOOSE THE WINNER?
We will be humbled and amazed and probably snort our beverages out our noses as we read all your entries. Then we will think really hard, and pick the TEN entries we think are the most awesome, unique, and magical. Also we will choose based on how likely the creator is to build the invention and share images or video of it with the world.

WHAT DO I GET IF I WIN?
We will mail MaKey MaKey kits to the winning inventors. Then, we ask that you build your invention and share documentation with us (pictures or video) by Monday, June 11th (just before the end of our kickstarter campaign). The kits we will be shipping are a beta version, so they are slightly different than the official version that will ship to our kickstarter backers in August- but they work great!

I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION!
Please reply to this post with your question (and make a new topic for your own entry!)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:50:09 PM by eric »

AClockworkApple

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: Contest Details
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 07:51:03 PM »
If we win the contest do we also get the final makey makey in August if we have pledged enough?

toonytoon180

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Flannel Friday
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:28:55 PM »
Are we able to post more than one idea if we just cant decide?

Venomoth

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:56:16 PM »
Seems like a neat contest, I've entered. How well does model magic clay work with the makey makey?

wakeupsilver

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • MaKey MaKey
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 09:29:24 PM »
@Venomoth Model Magic works great with MaKey MaKey.
@toonytoon180 Go ahead
@AClockworkApple Yes. The two things are totally seperate.

Venomoth

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 09:31:09 PM »
@toonytoon180 Go ahead
Thanks buddy

if I press a key on a device I made, and hold it, will it repeat the key over and over, or will it just go once? Like with the banana spacebar video I just saw, if you held the banana would it leave tons of spaces? This is somewhat critical for my project

wakeupsilver

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • MaKey MaKey
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 09:34:04 PM »
@toonytoon180 Go ahead
Thanks buddy

if I press a key on a device I made, and hold it, will it repeat the key over and over, or will it just go once? Like with the banana spacebar video I just saw, if you held the banana would it leave tons of spaces? This is somewhat critical for my project

Basic answer: Yes it repeats
Detailed answer: It acts exactly like a keyboard itself. So if your keyboard repeats, then MaKey MaKey repeats at exactly the same speed. That is determined at the OS level.

mati345

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 09:02:15 AM »
good morning ... I am disabled and would like to have the product MAKEY MAKEY to create my own joystick to play ... I can not buy because I have no credit card ... would be great to pay via paypal ... long ago I'm looking for something to help me play again, but nothing helps me .. I'm from Argentina .. I have spinal muscular atrophy and 3 years ago I can not play video games because my disease has progressed .. I hope to help me and win one of 10 .. Congratulations for this great project ..

NeXT-Generation

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 09:22:02 AM »
Hi, I just heard about this makey makey thing and it looks awesome!  I'd love to enter.  I've just got one question:  What if I can't build my project by June 11th?  I've got previous stuff that probably wouldn't allow me the time to do it by then.

Thank you.

NeXT-Generation

spencerthayer

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Music Makey
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »
To those of you who intend to us the Makey Makey for music related applications you may be a tad disapointed. Keys do not send CC or pressure data like midi does. Meaning the Makey Makey sends only ON/OFF data to whatever DAW you are using. Making this better suited to launching clips and effects or anything that doesnt requires the expressiveness of human touch.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:54:39 AM by spencerthayer »

rwaheed

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 05:07:44 PM »
This should be fun!

toonytoon180

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Flannel Friday
Re: Music Makey
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 06:18:01 PM »
To those of you who intend to us the Makey Makey for music related applications you may be a tad disapointed. Keys do not send CC or pressure data like midi does. Meaning the Makey Makey sends only ON/OFF data to whatever DAW you are using. Making this better suited to launching clips and effects or anything that doesnt requires the expressiveness of human touch.

That is true but there are still many musical applications that would work well enough

toonytoon180

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Flannel Friday
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 06:23:06 PM »
You guys should sign the boards of the 10 that win :D

toonytoon180

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Flannel Friday
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 08:42:07 PM »
DO YOU LOok at everyones sumbitions or just like the top 50 viewed. i think you should do just the top 50 viewed and 10 from that.
That doesn't make sense. Then the final 50 would be based on how intriguing the title is, not the actual idea

lightnin

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
There are quite a few submissions, and lots of great ideas. It's going to take some work to lays eyes on them all, but I think it can be done. :)