Author Topic: Does MaKey MaKey work on iPad?  (Read 22309 times)

Bananadude10

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Does MaKey MaKey work on iPad?
« on: May 31, 2012, 10:53:38 PM »
I was just wondering if MaKey MaKey works on iPads.     :)
(If not, than I suggest you guys make it available)   ;D

lightnin

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: Does MaKey MaKey work on iPad?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 11:35:45 PM »

Not yet, although there is more testing / figuring out why not  to be done. :) And we agree - it would be awesome.

stevetheipad

• MaKey MaKer
  • I'm a Scratcher and programmer and a creator. :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 06:48:47 PM »

Not yet, although there is more testing / figuring out why not  to be done. :) And we agree - it would be awesome.
Wow, that would be amazing. I'm learning Objective C, so integrating iOS apps with the Makey Makey would be sweet. :)

notyou

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 04:45:38 PM »
I have to test it (and hope it doesn't blow my new MM up), but according to these Apple forum posts, you should be able to power MM from an iPad using a non-powered USB hub and the iPad charger *OR* a powered USB hub:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/12696495#12696495
https://discussions.apple.com/message/18764459#18764459

Unfortunately it seems that battery-powered USB hubs are hard to come by, making this a less-than-portable solution.

However somebody on this Ableton forum hacked a battery-pack with 4 "C" batteries to a USB connector and got his iPad to recognize multiple powered USB devices, so that might work too.

https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=162744

It just occurred to me that one of these USB chargers (+ non-powered hub) might do the trick too:

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Instant-Charger-Includes-Universal/dp/B002FU6KF2
http://www.instructables.com/id/MintyBoost!---Small-battery-powered-USB-charger/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:51:55 PM by notyou »

jphilanth

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 08:12:46 PM »
I've tested it now with an iPad3 and a first-gen iPad, both using the Camera Connection Kit, and both at first with direct connection then subsequently using an externally powered USB hub.

The results were negative in all cases; the iPad immediately displays a messaging saying that the connected device is not supported.  Since I also tried it with the hub, it doesn't appear to be a power issue, but rather a problem with the iPad not recognizing it as a valid device type.

Perhaps with a remapping or other script the Makey could spoof itself as a particular type of keyboard? It might be the mouse input that throws off iOS, since those are never supported.  I'd love to get it working somehow, but don't have the knowledge necessary to really debug past this point.

notyou

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »
Thanks for testing, jphilanth.  When I plug in a mouse to my iPad2 via CCK, I get:
Cannot Use Device
The connected USB device is not supported.

When I plug in a keyboard, I get:
Cannot Use Device
The connected USB device requires too much power.

I think you're probably on the right track with the MakeyMakey representing itself as a mouse and iOS doesn't like that. Bummer, as it would be cool to have an ultra-portable way to play with MakeyMakey.

I wonder if it's hackable enough to disable mouse functions (and then later re-enable them).

notyou

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 02:29:26 PM »
At the TechXploration event on Monday night Jay mentioned that somebody was trying to make a kit/converter to allow MakeyMakey to work with the iPad. Does anybody have information on that?

In other news, I just ordered a Google Nexus 7 because apparently with a USB-OTG dongle, you can make it work with both a USB keyboard *and* mouse, without any hacks. Makey Makey + Android tablet fun, here I come!!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6061/mhl-and-usbotg-on-the-nexus-7-mounting-usb-storage-not-supported

notyou

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 11:34:54 PM »
Hey y'all. So my Nexus 7 came last week, and today my USB-OTG cable(s) arrived. Oops, I accidentally ordered 5 of them. Does anybody in Silicon Valley want one?  I've got 3 extra!

Anyways, the awesome news -- it works with Makey Makey!

The bad news -- I need to find some HTML 5 games/apps that work with arrow keys.  Well, actually with a shady old Flash APK and Firefox Beta I can run Flash, but I'd prefer to use the built-in Chrome browser.

Any advice for HTML 5 games/apps would be appreciated.  And message me if you're interested in one of these cables.  Makey Makey On The Go!  Woot!

Alexandra Samuel

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Love your life online
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 07:23:24 PM »
I've got it working! I followed the tip on this video for connecting a USB keyboard to iPad via CCK:
Exclusive iPad USB Power Hack Fix Cannot Use Device USB hub Camera Connection Kit

...and by using a NON-powered USB hub, it worked! I connected the Camera Connection Kit (a non-Apple version made by Sharkk) and then connected a little freebie USB hub, non-powered. Plugged MakeyMakey into the hub, and folks, I'm typing on my iPad!

Pablo

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 06:54:14 PM »
So I also managed to get it working with an iPad. I had to use a powered hub and the cck and I just ignored the error message since it's probably related to the mouse HID. Now as for trying to do something useful I'm a little bit stumped but I have made a bit of progress by looking at this http://www.janefarrall.com/blog/2012/12/18/using-usb-switch-interfaces-with-switch-accessible-apps-on-your-ipad/ and at some of the switch accessible applications that are listed. Hopefully this is new info for folks on this forum:

Any other ideas?

defitech

• MaKey MaKer
  • fondation defitech
    • View Profile
    • fondation defitech
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 11:57:21 AM »
We were very enthusiastic after seeing the video https://vimeo.com/52012090 and this useful article http://decadentwaste.net/decadentwaste/2011/03/navigate-using-a-bluetooth-keyboard-on-your-ios-device had a lot of ideas to help several disable people.

We where able to use a apple USB keyboard with the Camera Connection Kit and a Powered USB HUB with , but the makey makey is not working   :'( The light are  on but we get:

"Cannot Use Device
The connected USB device is not supported"

For those who managed to make it work, can you give us more information about the technical specification of your devices, that would help us understanding what is not working in our case.

thank you for your help

Caroline

fondation defitech

Pablo

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 12:23:18 PM »
My setup seems very similar to yours and I did get the same error on the iPad
"Cannot Use Device
The connected USB device is not supported"

Like I said, I just ignored it because I assumed that it was referring to the mouse and not to the keyboard HID. Have you tried opening up something like the Notes App and trying to use the arrows on the makey makey?

defitech

• MaKey MaKer
  • fondation defitech
    • View Profile
    • fondation defitech
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 10:12:34 AM »
Yes, we've tried to type in Notes App. Our current hypothesis is pretty close from what says jphilanth. We have tried with an ipad first generation, model=MB294LL and an ipad third generation, model = MD329FD. Could you provide us your specifications?

Thanks a lot for your help!

JeReM

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 04:40:10 AM »
Hi

is there any update on this? My iPad first gen is waiting my MakeyMakey to work with to have my son happy!

thanks

defitech

• MaKey MaKer
  • fondation defitech
    • View Profile
    • fondation defitech
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 05:28:22 AM »
We finally managed to find a solution which seems to work. You can find the explanation here.
We implemented two modifications: first, we disabled the communication device class so that the makey makey can be used as a keyboard, then, we lowered the USB_CONFIG_POWER_MA so that we don't need a powered USB hub.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:32:33 AM by defitech »