Author Topic: Woodrum - Recycled Wood Electronic Drum Set  (Read 12581 times)

dangb

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Woodrum - Recycled Wood Electronic Drum Set
« on: February 25, 2013, 10:51:51 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have plans to build a midi controller out of a drum practice pad set.

First things first!  ::)

The first step will be to build a regular practice EVA foam padded drum kit with some wood I have here from demolished cabinets and shelves.

Here is an idea of it:

Alright, now what?  :o

Next, it is time to add the virtual electronic life (aka midi controller) to it, with a little help from Makey Makey.  ;D

AND HERE IS WHERE I NEED YOUR HELP!   ;)

I am still not sure how to make a reliable connection when I hit the pads, because the EVA foam is a non conductive material, neither are the wooden drumsticks.  :-\

Any ideas?

I thank you all for your help and creative ideas in advance!!

When the final prototype is ready, I'll make sure to make a video and thank the collaborators on it  :D

ROCK ON!

ChrisQ

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: Woodrum - Recycled Wood Electronic Drum Set
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 09:12:36 PM »
Have you ever used the drum set from rockband? Its pads are held aloft by springs or something and only react when hit and pushed down. What if you were to do the same thing? You could coat the bottom of the pad with some some conductive material. Then do the same with the point of contact. Then when they connected (Which would be when hit) they'd produce that sound. You could put it on a small spring to prop it up.

If I remember correctly, they had four springs corresponding to directions to balance out. Or you could make the drumsticks the ground somehow. And have the drum pads have conductive tape on them. Or something like that.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:07:30 PM by ChrisQ »

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
  • "best played LANs of gamer dens, gang aft MaKey!"
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 06:37:24 PM »
I'm working on a similar project. I would recommend something like conductive paint, honestly. With foil, a good thorough drum session is going to tear up your project and render it useless.

Also, conductive paint will let you map out things like "center" and "rim" or "edge." Two pads for the price of one.

The only thing I can think of for the drumsticks is to make them the grounds. You'll probably want wrist/elbow pads that help deter the ground drumstick wires from getting in the way and tearing your project asunder during a lively session.

For bonus points, you could separate a section of one of the drumsticks that wire back to a key instead of ground. This leaves potential for registering that oh-so-special stick hit.

Keep us posted, I'll be interested to see how you progress. Awesome rig pictured, best of luck.
-=-=-
"All life is an experiment, the more experiments you MaKey MaKey the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
-=-=-

dangb

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 03:00:58 PM »
Alright, I did some research and my conclusion is: this kind of pad wouldn't work very well.
They would be sloppy and not so good to play because of their response.

BUT WAIT!

I found these little magical things called piezoelectric transducers. They simply convert a mechanical disturbance into an electrical pulse. Perfect.  8)

Piezoelectric transducer

With this in mind, I came up with the following ideas (sorry about the bad sketches and pictures):

Drum setup

I think this setup would be extremely versatile, confortable to play and also resistant and sturdy.
Wood would be 15mm thick.

Tom holders concept and pad layering

The piezoelectric transducers have two wires: one earth (black) and one to conduct the electrical pulse (red).

I was thinking about connecting all "earth" wires from the piezos to an "Earth Central" - something like a cardboard wrapped in aluminum paper - which would carry the earth croc connected to the Makey Makey.
The red wires should be connected directly to the Makey Makey.

:( MY WORRIES:

- How would I do the maintenance in case of a piezo failure?
- Would the Makey Makey support all these 11 pieces of the drum set, each with a different sound?
- Should I experience any latency in the midi response?
- Would this Piezo-Makey kind of connection work?

Thanks for your help!
All suggestions are appreciated!

Jerry

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 01:42:40 AM »
Hey,
        Did you proceed any further? Can you share something about this Drum set you were building on?

johnsonlabz

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 10:29:06 PM »
If you use a carbon fibre drumstick it will conduct the electricity. Connect a lead to the end of the drum stick and when you hit a drum pad that is wired up it will complete the circuit. One of my students created a drum kit with play dough and a carbon fibre drumstick. You can also connect yourself, using a ring of power or bracelet to your ankle and then simply hold the drumsticks.

Hope that this helps.

Delta Golf

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 06:49:45 PM »
If you use a carbon fibre drumstick it will conduct the electricity. Connect a lead to the end of the drum stick and when you hit a drum pad that is wired up it will complete the circuit. One of my students created a drum kit with play dough and a carbon fibre drumstick. You can also connect yourself, using a ring of power or bracelet to your ankle and then simply hold the drumsticks.

Hope that this helps.

johnsonlabz,
I think he dont need any conduction anymore while he put piezoelectric transducers in the drum pads.

dangb,
Makey makey have 18 input connections so that wil be O.K.
Midi Midi (24 euro or 29 dollar) is a program that helps you to route the midi check it out: http://feelyoursound.com/midimidi/
take care that the fibration of one pad not another pad triggers so be shore the rack is not fibrating while hitting a pad. great project, looking forward regard dick
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:00:09 PM by Delta Golf »
there is nothing better than do it
Deltagolf.DG@gmail.com

yoginetindia

• MaKey MaKer
  • Blogger and market Head
    • View Profile
    • Website Designers
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 04:55:21 AM »
HI dangb!  Is the final Prototype ready you mentioned that going to share video. Plz update.