Author Topic: Home Automation with MakeyMakey  (Read 7061 times)

onlychase

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Home Automation with MakeyMakey
« on: May 30, 2012, 03:14:39 PM »
Dear Creators of MakeyMakey,

I have been programming whole home automation systems, using Crestron hardware and software, for several years. I am very intrigued by your product and immediately started thinking of applications in the home automation environment. For example; you could easily automate actions such as when someone touches your front doorknob a TV turns on with a security camera of that door or when you hang your car keys on your wall music could turn on and go to a lighting scene…the possibilities are endless. In the Crestron automation environment I am able to control thousands of devices using IR emiters, RS232 serial connections, contact closures, IP control etc. – pretty much everything that can be controlled can be controlled by Crestron. However looking at your product video it seems that the only connection is USB which I would not know how to integrate into a Crestron system. Is there any possibility of making this unit Ethernet based control? It looks very interesting, I plan to purchase one myself and do some experimenting. Any feedback on how to integrate your product would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Chase

eric

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
  • I'm Eric, one of the inventors of MaKey MaKey!
    • View Profile
    • my homepage
Re: Home Automation with MakeyMakey
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 01:22:21 AM »
Hi Chase- the MaKey MaKey acts as a USB keyboard and mouse, so it would have to plug into something that receives those inputs (some kind of mac/win/linux computer) and then relays commands based on those to your system. I bet there's a way to make it work! Keep us posted.

Dear Creators of MakeyMakey,

I have been programming whole home automation systems, using Crestron hardware and software, for several years. I am very intrigued by your product and immediately started thinking of applications in the home automation environment. For example; you could easily automate actions such as when someone touches your front doorknob a TV turns on with a security camera of that door or when you hang your car keys on your wall music could turn on and go to a lighting scene…the possibilities are endless. In the Crestron automation environment I am able to control thousands of devices using IR emiters, RS232 serial connections, contact closures, IP control etc. – pretty much everything that can be controlled can be controlled by Crestron. However looking at your product video it seems that the only connection is USB which I would not know how to integrate into a Crestron system. Is there any possibility of making this unit Ethernet based control? It looks very interesting, I plan to purchase one myself and do some experimenting. Any feedback on how to integrate your product would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Chase

samwine

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 07:42:03 AM »

Is there any possibility of making this unit Ethernet based control?

I'm wondering, can Arduino shields be used with the MaKeyMaKey? If so, you can try using an Arduino Ethernet Shield to communicate with the Crestron unit.

sparks

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 03:03:41 PM »
I'm wondering, can Arduino shields be used with the MaKeyMaKey? If so, you can try using an Arduino Ethernet Shield to communicate with the Crestron unit.

That's a neat idea and could be a good avenue of inquiry to pursue!