Author Topic: Output based on array of input keys  (Read 1877 times)

ishanrohatgi09

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Output based on array of input keys
« on: June 14, 2016, 06:10:16 PM »
Hi everyone

I'm completely new to the concept of Makey Makey and even Arduino.

Just wanted to know if there's a way to store the inputs of makey makey in say an array, and then based on the content of that array run a dc motor from the output.

Any help would be great :)
Thanks in advance

Liam

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: Output based on array of input keys
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 04:59:06 PM »
Hey ishanrohatgi09,

Hmm.. . I don't know about an array.
Makey Makey just works like a USB keyboard or mouse, sending that type of input data to a computer when the various circuits are closed on the Makey Makey.

And but, you can just power a small motor right off the Makey Makey itself.
The pins on the back work like this:

- KEY OUT is activated when any of the alphanumeric keys are triggered.
- MS OUT is triggered when any of the mouse actions are triggered.
- PGD and PGC are for programming at the factory.
- /RESET resets the board when that pin is grounded.
- 5V is power for small current motors and LEDs and is always running when the Makey Makey is plugged in.
- GND is the same as Earth on the bottom of the board and works to ground small motors and LEDs connected from either the MS OUT or KEY OUT pins.

To trigger small motors and LEDs, wire your device from either the KEY OUT or MS OUT to the GND pin. The attachment will receive 5 volts of power from KEY OUT when any of the keys (spacebar, WASD, etc) on the Makey Makey are Earthed - regardless of remapping. The same is true for MS OUT; when any mouse actions are Earthed (mouse directions, right click, left click), 5 volts are sent to your device.

ishanrohatgi09

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 05:53:27 AM »
So the idea effectively is to make a floor piano using a MakeyMakey. If somehow I could store the input of the MakeyMakey as an array, I wanted to activate/run a linear actuator to open/close a door latch based on the input of the MakeMakey (floor piano keys pressed)

I could do this entire approach by connecting the MakeyMakey to Raspberry Pi, run a python script on the Pi to store the input of MakeyMakey as an array, and based on the input received by the Pi, I could give the command from the Pi to run another Arduino which controls the Actuator motor.
With this approach the architecture becomes MakeyMakey---->Raspberry Pi------>Arduino.

I wanted to simplify this a little by exploring the idea of achieving this using the MakeyMakey itself. Is there a way to delve deeper into the functioning of the MakeyMakey and use/modify it's setup() and loop() functions to achieve this ??

Liam

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 04:28:38 PM »
Hey ishanrohatgi09,

Oh!  Cool.  Well, it sounds like you could do well to use an older version of Makey Makey, from back when Makey Makey was built straight on Arduino boards.

It might be easiest to use a sparkfun Makey Makey, which is still Arduino based. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11511

I hope that's helpful!

donaldali

• MaKey MaKer
  • Donald Ali
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 01:18:20 PM »
So the idea effectively is to make a floor piano using a MakeyMakey. If somehow I could store the input of the MakeyMakey as an array, I wanted to activate/run a linear actuator to open/close a door latch based on the input of the MakeMakey (floor piano keys pressed)

I could do this entire approach by connecting the MakeyMakey to Raspberry Pi, run a python script on the Pi to store the input of MakeyMakey as an array, and based on the input received by the Pi, I could give the command from the Pi to run another Arduino which controls the Actuator motor.
With this approach the architecture becomes MakeyMakey---->Raspberry Pi------>Arduino.

I wanted to simplify this a little by exploring the idea of achieving this using the MakeyMakey itself. Is there a way to delve deeper into the functioning of the MakeyMakey and use/modify it's setup() and loop() functions to achieve this ??
]

This looks complicated. were you able to find a simple solution to this? Can this be achieved without python script? there is some platform issue. Did you try using older version as suggested by Liam?