Author Topic: Makey Makey Go not holding keymap setting  (Read 2863 times)

RetromanIE

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Makey Makey Go not holding keymap setting
« on: January 01, 2016, 12:05:05 PM »
I just got my Makey Makey Go via Kickstarter and am having a small issue (it might be something I'm doing wrong). When I change the keymap to the "Escape" key it keeps reverting to the default "Space" key when unplugged or after a reboot!
I have 3 of them and it's the same on them all.

Is this by design?

thanks

ChrisD [NL]

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: Makey Makey Go not holding keymap setting
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 02:41:43 AM »
The same behaviour with my GO. I wonder if you are actually 'programming' the Makey Makey GO itself or the USB-port to which it is connected.

RetromanIE

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 02:46:00 PM »
It'll be a pity(and bad product design) if we can't program them and have them hold the keymap settings.
Do any mods keep an eye on this forum?

Liam

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 03:13:35 PM »
Hey gang,

Sorry I'm late getting back to yous.

Yes, it is by design that it resets upon disconnect.
We didn't want people to get confused about how to get it back to "normal" after remapping.

I'd be interested to hear how you think this limits functionality.  What did you want to do with the GO that you can't do with this reset function?

Thanks for the feedback,
Liam

vanto

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 09:19:34 PM »

I'd be interested to hear how you think this limits functionality.  What did you want to do with the GO that you can't do with this reset function?

This issue affects me, as well. Building any kind of appliance (makey makey go and a Pi, for example) becomes a lot more complex and less user-friendly if you have to reset the MMGo everytime you power the thing on. I have a media station set that I have built and one of the controls is a touch point. I've built a cabinet for it and everything. When I turn the power strip off, the whole entertainment center gets powered down (which I do want), but then when I turn everything back on, the MMGo is reset to its defaults and I have to open the cabinet, reset the remap. It's just for fun, so it's not criticial, but It's a real bother :-)

I'd be interested of a way to re-flash the MMGo with firmware that retained the remapping. I don't mind the default behaviour being one way, but I'd definitely be interested in manual overrides, even if it meant breaking out the Arduino application and re-flashing.

I have found the Makey Makey firmware source code on github, but I'm struggling to find the MMGo source code.

vanto

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 11:43:22 PM »
Bump?

A makey makey "for inventors" that doesn't hold its keymap settings is problematic! I can't expect my users to re-set the keymap every time something gets rebooted.

Is there a solution? Or a link to the Makey Makey Go code for download? I have the github repo but I can't find the GO code, just the makey makey.

Liam

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 05:29:41 AM »
Hey Vanto,

Oh sorry for getting back to you late.

Makey Makey GO isn't open source, so the code isn't available online.

The idea is to just keep MMs as simple as possible to make it easier for beginners to jump right into it.  There are ways to create touch capacitive switches with Arduinos, after all. Makey Makeys are a good introduction to DIY hardware for many - once you want to take it to the next level reprogramming your own boards,the Makey Makey road kind of stops. . . and the Arduino road begins.

Sorry I didn't have a better answer to your question!

norbet

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 09:26:30 AM »
i  also have this issue/feature with my new makeymakeyGO, which is very disappointing.

Is the MakeyMakey Classic able to keep its kepmapping between losing power?

thanks

Liam

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 11:36:22 AM »
Hey Norbet,

Yes - the Makey Makey Classic keeps it's keymap until you either change it back or reset it.