Author Topic: Detecting "velocity"  (Read 3913 times)

jaissonc

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Detecting "velocity"
« on: February 11, 2015, 11:50:28 AM »
I'm sorry if it has been said before, I didnt found nothing about it.

It would be a game changer for musicians if somehow the wire could detect velocity, like an actual piano.

I know it sounds insane... but when you think about signal strength, maybe not so much...

Liam

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: Detecting "velocity"
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 09:36:01 PM »
Yeah totally!  Have you heard of the Drawdio?  Another old JoyLabz project.
You could totally arduino that up if you changed the different signal strengths to translate into MIDI data.
http://web.media.mit.edu/~silver/drawdio/

bart

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 12:14:53 PM »
I'm sorry if it has been said before, I didnt found nothing about it.

It would be a game changer for musicians if somehow the wire could detect velocity, like an actual piano.

I know it sounds insane... but when you think about signal strength, maybe not so much...
OK, I've just started using my Makey Makey (upon starting to use Arduino in general), but it seems to me that the best way of detecting velocity is if two keys could be used; a starting position and an ending position, so that the time between the start and the finish could be measured. To give a crude example, you take a wooden clothespin. Attach a piece of foil to the inside of one of the arms, and a screw through the other. Attach a separate key attachment to each one. You close the clothespin with one finger on the screw, and let the tip touch the aluminum foil. The program measures the time between activating the screw and activating the foil. That just shows the principle; there definitely should be better ways.

vps

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • DigitalOcean Promo Code
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 01:43:36 PM »
Thanks Liam, even I was looking for the same.