Author Topic: Muscular Dystrophy Control  (Read 4981 times)

lolski85

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Muscular Dystrophy Control
« on: June 08, 2014, 05:14:07 PM »
I'm trying to create something for myself to use more buttons, I currently use 2 buttons via left mouse button and sip switch. In conjunction with my current system it would be great having possibly 3/4 extra buttons. This would give me great ability within a game, I'm unable to move very much but my tongue and chin could be good areas to concentrate on. Don't know if my eyebrow could work, I tried using pencils and foil sticks the theory was good but I found it difficult working out how to design something pretty sturdy yet durable. Could someone please help me get something setup or a design someone could help me make.

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
  • "best played LANs of gamer dens, gang aft MaKey!"
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
Re: Muscular Dystrophy Control
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 07:21:02 PM »
So, I have no idea what I'm doing here. Maybe we can work together and see if this is a workable starting point?

I am just getting into 3D modeling for 3D printing. I found this snap together case for MaKey MaKey on Thingiverse:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:36314

I went with that and remixed the model to include what I am trying to develop into a clip and tongue controller:

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/d0rQaWU8ZIu-tongue-controller-clip-for-makey-makey-wip

From what I understand, PLA is supposed to be food safe and should be OK to use on the tongue. Don't take my word for this and I have no idea what the effects are for long term with direct contact like a tongue controller.

I have no idea how this model will try to print out but it seems like it will definitely require a lot of support material. I am not sure how it will clean up after support material removal is attempted. I also have no idea if the mechanism is sound, but this is my starting point. I might need to adjust some things or even overhaul the design, but the basic idea I had for a possible solution for you is that you would get 4 extra buttons using tongue control (up, down, left, right) and the controller would be mounted into a snap together MaKey MaKey and include a clip so that you could mount it somewhere like on a wheelchair somehow.

The way I imagine it would work is reverse axis, so when you press up on the ball the back end would tilt down and connect ground to a button.

I will have to try printing this off and see how it goes. I don't know if it will work at all, how hard it will be to properly clean support material off, or how hard it will be to try to wire up to a MaKey MaKey. Let alone if this will work for your purposes and needs.

If you or a friend want to help me with it and this seems like one good starting place, feel free to remix my design and help bring from early WIP to ready to use. If it starts to look like this might work with some modification, I would be happy to work together to try and get things finetuned like the mechanism itself, the positioning of it all, the clip, etc.

Good luck, hope this at least helps with bouncing ideas around. Including a pic of the model below:

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 07:29:27 PM by James B »
-=-=-
"All life is an experiment, the more experiments you MaKey MaKey the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
-=-=-

lolski85

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 10:06:58 PM »
That's quite interesting I had thought something 3D printed might be viable, something along these lines could really be helpful. I'm in England so it might not be possible but quite like your ideas, thanks for your reply anyway.

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 10:11:17 PM »
Once I get it functioning over here on my end, if you know someone over there you could potentially get a copy printed out.

Best of luck, hope you find something that works!
-=-=-
"All life is an experiment, the more experiments you MaKey MaKey the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
-=-=-

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 11:09:18 AM »
I'm about ready to print a first test. I changed the support mounts from the tongue controller and clip to the MaKey snap-on case and I added grips to the clip. The whole thing should be out of the way enough for the pins on the back of the MaKey but I have a feeling I will be redoing the clip grips and the end of the controller that goes in the mouth. There might be a lot of other things I need to change, but I am also testing out different controller ends.

Do any of these look like they might work better? What would you change?

572-0
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 11:12:05 AM by James B »
-=-=-
-=-=-

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 03:36:56 AM »
OK, I printed a test of just one of the experimental add-ons I designed for ResRobin's "Makey_Makey Case (Snap Together)."

I can't tell if it will work or not because the support material was crammed up inside there and some of my parts so flimsy that I managed to break pieces off when breaking off the support material.

I'm going to try printing a larger version next. If the larger version looks like it might need adjustments, I'll adjust and print a larger one again. If I get what looks like a working larger version, I might try printing at my original design scale with PLA or ABS for the parts and some kind of dissolving filament like HIPS or water-soluble PVA for the support structure.

If I get that far, I'll see if anyone in the area can help me test it out and see how easy/difficult it is to use.

I may go back to the drawing board altogether on this one and try for a simpler design that anyone can print out without needing dual extruders and special filament. The design itself, aside from being a complex print for most printers, may not be sound design at all. I'll see what I come up with.

In the meantime, I'll be thinking about simple solutions that don't even involve 3D printers. It's a challenge because I have no idea what type of MD you have or how you are affected and limited by it.

It sounds like you might have a tough time getting hold of someone with a 3D printer, so I will try to focus on something simpler for you. I will still try to figure out something that could work for others, though. In the meantime, hopefully others have ideas and want to help out
-=-=-
-=-=-

lolski85

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 09:41:14 AM »
I have duchenne so basically can't move at all, hope you manage to get something made.