Author Topic: Need Makey Makey ideas please!  (Read 11190 times)

memorysthekey

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Need Makey Makey ideas please!
« on: March 30, 2014, 08:43:30 PM »
I have to present a project that relates to my shop class "Computer Networking"
I took to believe the Makey Makey would really come in handy. Only issue is that I don't have any ideas that relate to Computer Networking or anything along those lines. So I'm here asking for help because I'm sort of a beginner.

Please answer and probably help me. -Greatly appreciated!

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
  • "best played LANs of gamer dens, gang aft MaKey!"
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
Re: Need Makey Makey ideas please!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 09:31:09 PM »
The MaKey MaKey is not a device that is designed specifically for computer networking, but you might still be able to do some neat things.

This could range from designing a unique invention to help control something like a PowerPoint about computer networking, to reprogramming the MaKey so that touching a button will perform network commands.

That's just a couple ideas, don't feel limited to my suggestions. Especially since this is a class project, it should be something you come up with. If you settle on any neat ideas and run into problems, don't hesitate to ask for more detailed tips, though. I can't promise someone will have an answer that works for you right away, it depends on the nature of your issue and who stops by when. Different people here have different experience and the forums aren't as active as some larger forums. We'll try, though!

Best wishes!
-=-=-
"All life is an experiment, the more experiments you MaKey MaKey the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
-=-=-

memorysthekey

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 06:12:14 PM »
Thanks, hopefully I get an idea real fast  :'(

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 10:56:18 PM »
Just checking in, how's your project going?
-=-=-
"All life is an experiment, the more experiments you MaKey MaKey the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
-=-=-

memorysthekey

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
I'm still in need of an idea ;/
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 10:59:35 PM »
I have to present a project that relates to my shop class "Computer Networking"
I took to believe the Makey Makey would really come in handy. Only issue is that I don't have any ideas that relate to Computer Networking or anything along those lines. So I'm here asking for help because I'm sort of a beginner.

Please answer and probably help me. -Greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:35:08 PM by James B »

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 11:56:34 PM »
That's really something that's probably going to have to be up to you. I've offered a couple ideas and there are lots of examples of how people have created their own solutions for their purposes. We can't really offer to do your homework for you or anything like that, but I bet you can come up with something. If you are having trouble with a certain tool (e.g., MaKey MaKey), maybe try it from a different angle using other tools instead.

If you just really want to incorporate the MaKey, you could do something like create an interactive poster or printed infograph about computer networking where the audience gets information displayed or played when they touch different graphics. You could probably go so far as to turn the MaKey into a node if you wanted to get really wild.

If somehow you were led to believe that the MaKey is a perfect example of computer networking, then I apologize but this is not true. The MaKey is a keyboard/mouse emulator which could be an example of a number of things such as input/output devices, microcontroller, etc.

You could probably facilitate communication between two other computing devices using the MaKey, but it might take some work.

On the other hand, the MaKey is a USB device which could connect to computing devices on a network. There are a number of topics you could cover in computer networking related to this such as security.

We have no idea what kind of class you are taking (informal, middle school, high school, undergrad, etc) but even if we did, we would be robbing you of your learning experience if we did more than offer some basic suggestions and information. The important thing is that your project ends up being a unique and solid example of whatever the assignment is. If you can get a MaKey to help you present your assignment in a unique or fun way, that's awesome. Either way, I'd love to hear about how it goes. Maybe more people have suggestions if you are still stuck.

I appreciate that your deadline is likely approaching and you might be frustrated. I saw your new thread but it is an exact copy of the first post in this thread so I merged it here. You are welcome to bump this thread within reason if you like, but please don't copy and paste same posts in new threads in the same forum.

Best wishes, hope something in this reply helped.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:00:02 AM by James B »
-=-=-
-=-=-

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 12:22:23 AM »
Saw this and immediately thought of you:

http://hackaday.io/prize
-=-=-
-=-=-

memorysthekey

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 04:14:49 PM »
That's really something that's probably going to have to be up to you. I've offered a couple ideas and there are lots of examples of how people have created their own solutions for their purposes. We can't really offer to do your homework for you or anything like that, but I bet you can come up with something. If you are having trouble with a certain tool (e.g., MaKey MaKey), maybe try it from a different angle using other tools instead.

If you just really want to incorporate the MaKey, you could do something like create an interactive poster or printed infograph about computer networking where the audience gets information displayed or played when they touch different graphics. You could probably go so far as to turn the MaKey into a node if you wanted to get really wild.

If somehow you were led to believe that the MaKey is a perfect example of computer networking, then I apologize but this is not true. The MaKey is a keyboard/mouse emulator which could be an example of a number of things such as input/output devices, microcontroller, etc.

You could probably facilitate communication between two other computing devices using the MaKey, but it might take some work.

On the other hand, the MaKey is a USB device which could connect to computing devices on a network. There are a number of topics you could cover in computer networking related to this such as security.

We have no idea what kind of class you are taking (informal, middle school, high school, undergrad, etc) but even if we did, we would be robbing you of your learning experience if we did more than offer some basic suggestions and information. The important thing is that your project ends up being a unique and solid example of whatever the assignment is. If you can get a MaKey to help you present your assignment in a unique or fun way, that's awesome. Either way, I'd love to hear about how it goes. Maybe more people have suggestions if you are still stuck.

I appreciate that your deadline is likely approaching and you might be frustrated. I saw your new thread but it is an exact copy of the first post in this thread so I merged it here. You are welcome to bump this thread within reason if you like, but please don't copy and paste same posts in new threads in the same forum.

Best wishes, hope something in this reply helped.

In your reply, you suggested that "There are a number of topics you could cover in computer networking related to this such as security." Is there a way I could use the makey makey to implement this? I looked all over online, but it goes back to showing basics with connecting banana's and such.

When I talked about being in a Computer Networking class. I'm in a vocational school(high school) senior year. What we learned included: so far what I remembered that we actually learned.

Computers, Parts of it, Building it, Connecting peer-to-peer, types of topology's, Routing and command prompts, Checking for information relating to wireless security and such; IP addresses, MAC addresses, subnetmask, SSID, DHCP, Ports and what they represent, password protection, also troubleshooting. Stuff like that, I don't know if the makey makey could some how express what I learned.

-Thanks in advance!

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 04:18:42 PM »
Let's start here, maybe.

Forget about MaKey for now.

What do you want your presentation to be about?
-=-=-
-=-=-

memorysthekey

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 10:47:22 AM »
Let's start here, maybe.

Forget about MaKey for now.

What do you want your presentation to be about?

Basically, we have to take what we learned in the 3 years of this class and demonstrate it in a presentation. (show what we learned) Some people are designing like a building with 50 computers and how to connect them... teacher says its basic but only a couple of people are doing it.

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 10:02:51 PM »
This is pretty difficult for me to give you advice on personally, maybe someone else can help. You might also want to use one of your best resources if you haven't already: your teacher. If you haven't already, let your teacher know some of your plans and thoughts (such as using a MaKey somehow) and also any stumbling blocks. Maybe your teacher can help guide you better, especially since they know what they will be expecting and what you will be graded on.

There's a lot that you could do using the MaKey to add some extra notches to your "blow the audience away" factor. If you are going to use something like a slideshow presentation for part of it, you could come up with some kind of unique custom invention that helps you change slides. You could reprogram the MaKey so that it does things like send host ping requests. The only things I can really think of right now would be kind of supplemental stuff unless you get advanced with MaKey inventions/reprogramming in a way that really reflects what you have learned in your class.

I would talk to your teacher. Feel free to stick around here, though. Someone else might pop in with better advice than I have given. Sorry for not being much help here but I know you can knock it out. Best wishes
-=-=-
-=-=-

memorysthekey

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 04:16:53 PM »
It doesnt have to be advance, anything basic would be fine. Only thin is that I don't know how to reprogram the makey makey without messing it up

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 03:47:45 PM »
Maybe this will help. I started a P2PU course on reprogramming the MaKey:

https://p2pu.org/en/courses/2119/reprogramming-makey-makey/

There is no start/end date and anyone can join at any time (should be working). If you need more help, I was also thinking of trying to organize a MaKey MaKey reprogramming workshop on Google Hangouts or similar.

Keep us updated!

Out of all the computer networking topics you've learned in the 3 years of your class, do you have a favorite?
-=-=-
-=-=-

memorysthekey

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 08:09:59 PM »
Maybe this will help. I started a P2PU course on reprogramming the MaKey:

https://p2pu.org/en/courses/2119/reprogramming-makey-makey/

There is no start/end date and anyone can join at any time (should be working). If you need more help, I was also thinking of trying to organize a MaKey MaKey reprogramming workshop on Google Hangouts or similar.

Keep us updated!

Out of all the computer networking topics you've learned in the 3 years of your class, do you have a favorite?
I have no favorite topic in computer networking, just need something the makey makey can help present

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 08:17:50 PM »
Is there a specific part of reprogramming that is tripping you up? You mentioned having trouble with that.

I'm all out of ideas myself. If you talk with your teacher and figure out what your presentation is actually going to be about, maybe a way that MaKey can fit into that could become more apparent.

-=-=-
-=-=-