Author Topic: Super Mario pinky controller  (Read 5938 times)

Florian

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Super Mario pinky controller
« on: March 26, 2014, 12:39:39 PM »
Heya Makey Makey forums!

This is my first post ever. My name is Florian and i'm from France (please excuse the not so good english :p  ).

My girfriend got me a makey last christmas, and i've been having some good fun with it.
Right now i find myself unemployed and bored out of my ears. As i have a background in human computer interaction and cognitive psychology, i've decided to put my makey to good use and delve into the world of disability and gaming.

Before pitching some projects to the local structures taking care of disabled youngster, i'm going to do a few proofs of concept to better encompass the strenght and limitation of the makey.

So today was my first day.. I started easy with the 8 bits Super Mario. The twist is i tried to come up with a controller to play it using only with my pinky finger!

It came out quite alright:

Mario pinky finger

The main feature of the controller is the 2 little foil balls at the top of the ring. Those are actually the jump button, that allow to easily jump diagonally by touching them and the right/left side of the ring simultaneously.

Hope i'll get some other projects done soon!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:26:32 PM by James B »

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
  • "best played LANs of gamer dens, gang aft MaKey!"
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
Re: Super Mario pinky controller
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 09:24:25 PM »
Oh, what?!

Florian, that is awesome! Best of luck and I hope you do keep posting new projects! Thank you!

Hey, do you mind if this gets moved to the Hackcess forums? It's the forum area just for MaKey projects by and for people with disabilities. If you don't mind, we'll get it moved for you. I'm thinking it might get more views by people specifically looking for this kind of thing! What do you think?

Welcome to the forums! Stick around and post as many projects as you like, the more the merrier!

;D
-=-=-
"All life is an experiment, the more experiments you MaKey MaKey the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
-=-=-

Florian

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 11:31:49 AM »
Thanks for your kind words!

Since the last post in the hacksess section was 4months old, i was a bit scared of the cobwebs there. Also i was planning a better structured topic once i had done a few projects, and hopefully some real life case study.
But if you want to move it that's fine by me.

Today i tried to do something with assassin creeds 4, which has like a bajillion buttons in the control scheme..
Hopefully i'll get a good show and tell out of it!

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
  • "best played LANs of gamer dens, gang aft MaKey!"
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 02:25:36 PM »
I hear ya. I worry someone specifically looking for something like this to find a solution might miss it, maybe we can leave a link in here going back to it. If you really don't mind, I'll go ahead and move it. It will be nice to have a cool newer project in there, maybe the next person won't see so many cobwebs when they walk in ;)

If it helps, I've been checking out that forum and the views in there keep going up. People are still checking that forum out and likely trying the projects, trying their own inspired by those projects, etc. It'd be nice if it wasn't as quiet around here, but a lot of our lurkers are active inventors even if they don't post often.

Thanks again for piping up and adding liveliness around here! Maybe we'll get some more faces popping in and adding to things.

Your case study project sounds entirely interesting. I'm excited.

Wow, yeah AC4 and MaKey, that's a pretty unique challenge. Lots of things you could do there, keep us posted about that, your case study, and anything else!
-=-=-
"All life is an experiment, the more experiments you MaKey MaKey the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
-=-=-

thechubbymonkey

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 11:31:13 AM »
WOW! This project is super cool! Just with 1 finger! Just wow... ;)
Who doesn't love Makey Makey???

fluffyfish

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 02:51:34 AM »
Well I am impressed.  Great work.