Author Topic: Makey Makey midi controller  (Read 9308 times)

Minemooder

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Makey Makey midi controller
« on: February 01, 2014, 11:55:51 AM »
I reprogrammed the makey makey to send midi notes! Because of that i'm able to use it as a midi piano in every DAW lie ableton, reason, fl studio, logic. Since these programs also allow midi mapping it can also function as a midi controller. This could also be used in programs like Traktor and Virtual DJ.

I wrote an instructable about it:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Makey-Makey-MIDI-controller/

Have fun!

Mine Mooder

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
  • "best played LANs of gamer dens, gang aft MaKey!"
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
Re: Makey Makey midi controller
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 12:09:56 PM »
Awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing this!!

8)
-=-=-
"All life is an experiment, the more experiments you MaKey MaKey the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
-=-=-

Jstarr

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 11:57:11 AM »
Hello !

Thank you for your post, it's just awesome. I'm currently trying to use MM to send Midi CC signals, not midi note signal because i cannot use those signals to control ableton or Logic Pro parameters, just to create notes.

Do you know how this could be doable ? i'm trying to use the midi library, and sendControlChange fionction, but nothin' working well !

Thank you for your help and sharing your project ;)

Minemooder

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 11:48:20 AM »
Hello !

Thank you for your post, it's just awesome. I'm currently trying to use MM to send Midi CC signals, not midi note signal because i cannot use those signals to control ableton or Logic Pro parameters, just to create notes.

Do you know how this could be doable ? i'm trying to use the midi library, and sendControlChange fionction, but nothin' working well !

Thank you for your help and sharing your project ;)

maybe take a look here:http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=146223.0;wap2
i haven't done that but i don't think it's very difficult.
by the way you CAN use the midi notes to control things in ableton. got to your preferences, midi sync and turn on 'remote' for the makey makey midi port input. (you might want to also turn off 'track', then no playing notes stops)

ivobol

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 05:00:07 PM »
Thanks for the patch, great stuff. I have noticed that if you are not grounded midi data is constantly generated. This becomes a problem for me when I have a lot of things connected. Is there any way around this? Thanks!  ;)

Minemooder

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 03:36:34 PM »
I thought it was only sending midi signals if something happend. Is it not supposed to do nothing if you are not grounded?? I have no clue at all, I'm sorry!

X-Raym

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • ExtremRaym
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 06:42:54 PM »
Hi Minemooder,

Thank you very much for your custom firmware! It really enlighten me on the possibilities offer by Makey Makey. I successfully modify it so it can send MIDI data. Awesome :P

I created a set of JSFX plugins to be able to change MIDI notes properties on the fly within a DAW without having to mod the firmware every time.

Here is the Makey Makey forum thread about it:
Route Makey Makey MIDI Notes in your DAW with JSFX MIDI Plugins

Maybe you can be interested by it  ::)

Cheers!

MkowaGes

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Makey Makey midi controller
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 02:46:14 PM »
Can the iPad really replace a standard MIDI controller? Im looking to get the iPad anyways so that would be killing two birds with one stone if it also can be my MIDI controller.
svoiduhi.com Все об ароматах, косметике и парфюмерии

X-Raym

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • ExtremRaym
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 10:48:37 PM »
@MkowaGes
Pretty sure it can, with the right softwares, like touchOSC or TouchDAW. Maybe there is better alternative, i don't have iPads. And the latency, if signal with midi, can be  bit high foe some usge.