Author Topic: Interactive artwork - pictures with sound  (Read 6167 times)

sEQuenz

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Interactive artwork - pictures with sound
« on: October 01, 2013, 10:20:09 AM »
We've got a music project in Cornwall UK working with special needs schools, and I'm introducing them to the Makey Makey. There's so many possibilities for cross-curricular Makey Makey projects! Here's one:

Although I don't have permission to show the kids using it (which is a shame because they loved it!), the video shows what they did. They did some artwork and then created sound effects and music loops on GarageBand for each area of the painting. There's a cheap bit of software called SoundPlant which lets you trigger sounds with a computer keyboard, so its easy to do.

I set this up using capacitative sensing to avoid having to touch the earth wire. Its a bit more buggy than the standard Makey Makey setup, but suits this kind of interactive art project much better. Details of how to set it up are here:
http://www.makeymakey.com/forums/index.php?topic=1267.0

Would be interesting to hear any thoughts or suggestions for other music-related projects!

sparks

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: Interactive artwork - pictures with sound
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 07:21:56 AM »
Great project! A friend of mine works in a special needs school in Switzerland and I'm going to show her this, I think she'd be pretty interested, thanks or sharing!

sEQuenz

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 05:05:34 AM »
Thanks Sparks. Funnily enough I've been thinking of trying to organise a project in Switzerland as my sister is a music therapist there! Would be happy to share ideas with your friend if its of interest.
shawker@musiccornwall.org

sparks

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 05:49:59 AM »
That's pretty cool! My friend is only apprenticed so I don't know how much of a contact she'll be but I'll drop her a line and let you know if she's interested!