Author Topic: Instant Messaging/Chat on the Forums  (Read 10275 times)

phishphace01

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Ross Fish (Music)
Instant Messaging/Chat on the Forums
« on: August 28, 2013, 02:56:14 PM »
Would it be possible to setup a real time communication platform within this forum? I think it would be great for problem solving when multiple users are on the forums at the same time.
"Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, It will live it's whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein

sparks

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: Instant Messaging/Chat on the Forums
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 06:04:22 AM »
It's a cool idea, I don't know if we have the moderating power needed to run something like that though! The moderating staff (myself included) are part-time workers for MaKey MaKey!

I agree that it would be a great discussion and collaboration platform, I'm not disputing that, but we have enough spam attacks at the moment as it is without opening a new avenue for spammers to pursue. I've been trying to convince the MaKey MaKey team to let me upgrade the forums to a newer platform, as the SoftMachines forums we're currently on are a little hard to manage to be frank! Should I be able to install an update like that I would certainly look into faster collaboration forms for the forums. In the mean time, at least there's no cooldown limit on posts here like some forums have! Pray we're not forced to implement that!

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
  • "best played LANs of gamer dens, gang aft MaKey!"
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 02:14:48 PM »
Actualy, we do have a cooldown limit here. Simple Machines has different settings, I'll have to check but I think here we're set to 60 seconds between new topics but replies are unrestricted. I could be wrong, but I have run into the cooldown limit here. Lemme check real quick

I've been wondering about Discourse, too, it seems promising

EDIT: Nope, it's replies, too:

"An Error Has Occurred!
The last posting from your IP was less than 60 seconds ago. Please try again later."

Depending on the settings, the waves of spambots that have been coming in may just be hopping IP addresses and able to spam from the same username. If I'm not mistaken, there's a pretty easy way to set it up so that usernames with fewer than X amount of posts and/or X amount of time on the forums can't post more frequently than whatever you want to set it as. Or maybe that's an SMF mod I'm thinking of, it's been so long since I've used SMF's ACP. Hope that helps
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 02:23:51 PM by James B »
-=-=-
"All life is an experiment, the more experiments you MaKey MaKey the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
-=-=-

sparks

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 01:19:26 PM »
I know the Scratch forums have a longer post time for new users... Man Spambots annoy the heck out of me!

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 07:29:49 PM »
Tell me about it. My least favorite part of forum moderation is finding botspam that has buried real conversation. Thanks for helping to zap them here, sparks.
-=-=-
"All life is an experiment, the more experiments you MaKey MaKey the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
-=-=-

sparks

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 04:39:25 AM »
No problem, I've been doing it for a year or two now on the Scratch forums before I came here, and it is immensely satisfying to remove annoying obstructions to learning, collaboration and good-nature!

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »
That's a very positive way of looking at it :-)

Yeah, least favorite part is finding them. A favorite part is zapping them when they turn up, however! Muahaha

On one of my old forums, the type of spambots we were getting would post to the first category they had access to. So I made a hidden category way up top that only mods and admins could see but set it up so anyone could post there. It effectively kept all the spam from our regular users. We eventually got bored and set up the hidden category to do things like auto-strip links, auto mangle botspam posts into Dadaist rap battles, and other hijinks. Finally we just set it up so that anyone posting in that forum got their username deleted and all posts removed automatically by our phpBB system. That worked really well for a good while.
-=-=-
-=-=-

sparks

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 11:21:07 AM »
that... is a genius idea!

I can't help but feel this thread is going a little off-topic, but I saw a really neat system someone invented to poison email scraper bot's email lists. It worked on the principle that the scraper bot follows the first like on a page, checks the page for emails then follows the first link of that page until there are no more links and then it backtracks. His system consisted of a hidden link at the top of each page of your site that took the bot to a page with a fake email and a link, the link took it back to the same page with a new fake email, effectively catching it in a loop, adding thousands of useless addresses to the bot's cache and hopefully making the list of existing emails useless to the spammer! Very neat idea!

James B

• Global Moderator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Knox Makers
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
That's awesome. At least not all bots are bad. What about a test chat channel with chatbot OPs and volunteer community mods? Could use IRC or something. I have found a lot of use in chat elsewhere for support, and people are generally good-natured and willing to help enough to keep it afloat if there's enough interest and use.

Unique ways of managing live conversations like discourse and resources such as wiki and stack overflow would be useful for me, too, but I know resources here are limited, there are a lot of needs, and I'm not the only person here.

I do think it's important to remember we have users of all ages here. There's a lot of major time-consuming work to be done for every feature we get as a resource from MK, and I imagine chat would be especially time-consuming.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 09:58:28 AM by James B »
-=-=-
-=-=-