Author Topic: My autistic helper  (Read 7042 times)

BetoRaposa

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
My autistic helper
« on: May 30, 2012, 10:13:48 AM »
I am a programmer for something around 6 years now and my girlfriend/fiance is a renown speech therapist for autistic children here in my city. She and I were working on some projects of interfaces that can be interpreted easily by her patients with speech disorder.
Actually, we use a card book with cards relating to actions or objects that a child with autism and/or speech disorder may use to communicate their needs. As an example, a child chooses a card with a banana photo and show to a parent/therapist. It is supposed to mean that he is hungry and would like to have a banana (sometimes he just wants something to eat).
Our project is to add some simple interfaces to the cards so the children can say more with it than "I want it".
(Some pictures are to come. I don't have them right now).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:04:25 AM by BetoRaposa »

BetoRaposa

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
My autistic helper: project pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 08:13:55 PM »

This is Little Felipe. He doesn't speak a single word. He gets a card with a picture of juice...

Then someone gets the juice for him.

This time Felipe gets a card with a picture with the toilet with urine to say he needs to urinate.

arivera

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Re: My autistic helper
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 04:47:45 PM »
This is really great. Have you made progress on this?

bjscharf

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 05:09:09 PM »
I know this thread is old, but I am looking for connections to help kids, my own included.  I am a father to a child (17 months) with Down Syndrome.  Speech is very delayed with DS.  My day job is a programmer and I do a lot of graphical user interfaces.  I would love to help with projects using my Makey Makey and programming skills to help kids, especially my own.  Please let me know if I can help with your project.  I spend most of my days writing in a dialect of Basic, but also have programmed in C/C++/Java, a bit in C#, and various web things like html/ASP/etc.  I don't mind using my son as a tester to see if certain projects/exercises work and benefit his development.  thanks.

sparks

• Administrator
  • MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 06:23:52 PM »
Hi Bjscharf, welcome to the MaKey MaKey forums!

Thanks very much for offering to help out on a number of threads, with any luck, someone will see your post and be grateful for your help! Since the threads are quite old though, the thread starters may not be checking for posts here any more.

Have you considered starting your own project using the MaKey MaKey to create a learning tool for children such as your son/daughter? I'm sure you would find it a rewarding experience and if you created a new thread detailing ideas and/or progress on your project in the Ideas board of the forums, I'm sure you would receive plenty of help and suggestions from other Forum users!