Author Topic: Include a human-grounding wire  (Read 6604 times)

ianbicking

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
Include a human-grounding wire
« on: August 21, 2012, 10:59:02 PM »
A large number of the interesting project ideas involve grounding a human.  It would be nice if the kit included something like that, maybe a velcro bracelet attached to a long wire and alligator clip.

(Also, I'll probably try making this myself; anyone have thoughts on how to actually make contact with the skin?)

radiowave911

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
    • Tim's Workshop
Re: Include a human-grounding wire
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 10:29:56 PM »
You can purchase grounding straps for use when working with static-sensitive electronics.  These are usually some sort of a wristband made from either a conductive material or holding a conductive pad against the skin.  The other end is connected to an alligator clip, banana plug, or something similar.

Most have a resistor in them as well, fairly high-value as I recall.  Not sure how this would affect the MakeyMakey response, however reading the description of how inputs are handled, I am thinking it would work without modification.

I have a wrist strap in my workshop and will give it a try when I have a few minutes.

ahallification

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 06:39:33 PM »
Mine just came in the mail yesterday. I have some grounding Velcro bracelets for when I'm working on my computer and they work perfect. The alligator clip is a little big to fit in the holes but it's also strong enough that it doesn't slip off the card if you just latch it down.

joeyluck

• MaKey MaKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 03:22:57 AM »
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:27:26 AM by joeyluck »